+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6wt Grips

Exclamation 6wt Grips

It is bad enough that a fly fisherman can't purchase anything less than a "premium" rod with decent cork, but you can't even find a 'freshwater' model six weight with a full wells grip. Does this frustrate anyone else? Even if you did, it would be stiff as a board and way too fast. It probably wouldn't come in a 2 pc. either. So when did all 6wt and under rods get away from half and full wells grips? When did the "industry" decide that everyone wants a 4 pc. rod? I guess I'm just trying to see if I a merely a lone wolf crying in the night here? I guess I will just have to go custom, and suffer to own an asian made blank if I want a medium-med.-fast actioned,graphite, 2 pc. 6wt with a full wells grip. The only other option is to hold out for something on e-bay and hope to get lucky. maybe there are still a few of those Fenwick HMG's (old school) out there?

Maybe I should have titled the thread: 6 wt quips???

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

the answer to all your problems is to have one of the fine people on this board build you one to your specifications! im sure they can get you an american made blank such as a st. croix....
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

AP,

Things change. The manufacturers are always right, right? They 'know' what the angling public wants, since they do all kinds of expensive research and R&D.

I guess we just have to accept that the wonderful folks who make and sell mass market fly rods know best what the public wants. I'm absolutely positive that they have some type of accurate research that shows that folks don't need a full wells grip on a 6 wt. fly rod, and that four piece rods are superior, or at least no different, than 2 piece rods on the water.

I'd hate to think that somehow limiting options like this is done solely to save money and make it easier to produce the rods faster and thus cheaper. I'd hate to think that they are basically saying 'take it or leave it' to us. They would never do that, I'm sure. You just have have to upgrade your requirements so that they match what the manufacturers offer. I'm sure it's just you, you know. No one else wants those options.

I have been known to be wrong, though,and I may just be wrong about this .

Luckily for you, and for me, building a rod isn't hard to do. There are several US based blank manufacturers that can certainly provide the type of rod action and number of pieces you are asking for (Rainsahdow, Dan Craft, and St. Croix come to mind). If you build it yourself, you'll have exactly what you want and it will not only be uniquely yours, but it will likely save you some money too.

Good Luck!

Buddy

I think having one built is the best option in this dilema. Not really interested in building one myself though. I know a few builders who can get-er-dun though! Just have to find the right blank. I got to have an American made blank however.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

+ Reply to Thread