+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beginner's Question on Streamers

1. Default Beginner's Question on Streamers

I'm still new to trout fishing, though I've done some river fishing for smallmouth bass. I've had at least a little luck with dries, and somewhat more success with nymph + indicator rigs.

I'd also like to learn about streamers. My main question is this: when you get to a trout stream, what exactly do you look for that would make you decide to use a streamer rather than nymphs?

I'd appreciate any thoughts, but I'd also appreciate any books you might be able to suggest that might help.

Barracuda,

Bear in mind I don't fish streamers, talking about trout here, frequently. There have been times, however, when I've observed minnows beings chased into small eddies or toward the bank by trout. It's at these occassions when I'll definitely try a streamer. Another time is in high and/or off-color water. Another time is when there is just an abundance of small fish due to a reservoir release. Yet another time I might go to streamers is when nothing else seems to work.

I know a lot of people use streamers right off the bat, and they certainly have their reasons.

There are a couple of books by Joseph Bates on Streamers.

Allan

I don't really look for anything in particular. It has to do more with the type of river and the layout. On my home streams, streamers work particularly well. Also some of these streams are heavily wooded and upstream presentations are difficult. I find that streamers are an effective way to fish these streams because I can wade downstream and let the streamer drift down into spots that would be difficult or impossible to cast to.

I don't find that I do as well with streamers on freestone streams such as the ones I fish in the Catskills. There I use dry flies and wet flies most of the time. Nymphs are my least favorite flies to fish.

It also depends on my mood. When I am too lazy or whatever to make careful presentations and just want to cover a lot of water and locate fish, I might elect to use a streamer at that time.

[This message has been edited by gadabout (edited 25 January 2006).]

If you can find the book called Streamers and Bucktails:The Big Fish Flies by Joseph D. Bates,get it.Very good work on the subject.Also get Trout Tactics by Joe Humphries.I like streamers cause thats what large fish eat.No guess work on whats hatching.Clousers,wolly buggers,dace,ect,they all work.

I often fish streamers in the evening when I'm heading back to my vehicle. During the early evening I'll fish upstream with whatever the evening hatch is, and then back down with streamers once it's dark. I'm partial to #6 black Zonkers for this. Casting them can be ugly, but they work. Don't over look slack water. Sometimes big browns will lie in water you'd otherwise just wade through.

Here is my take on the use of streamers....

It all depends on what type of trout are in the waters, and whether your fishing a stream/river or stillwater.

Streamers represent bait fish, and this will attract the larger trout in the area. Saying that there are fewer larger trout than small trout, nature of the ecosystem.

Some streamers are weighted others are not, the most effective areas of the water, is on the bottom (weighted), and at the surface (unweighted). I found the in between areas, to be dead zones for catching fish on a streamer.

Again, fewer takes, but the takes are the larger fish, which are fewer in number.

~Parnelli

Barracuda,
    I usually tie on an olive or natural Slumpbuster size 6-10 as my first and last fly of the day. Many days I use nothing else.
    They are great searchers when there are no obvious clues as to what the fish are feeding on. The downstream presentation is handy if you have to move around some obstruction in the stream and miss some water that can be fished.
    My general technique is kind of like nymph fishing with added movement during the drift, especially with a weighted streamer. I would venture that this imitates a sculpin as it causes the fly to rise and then dive back to the bottom.

Bryan

+ Reply to Thread