+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EP Fibers Question

Blog Entries

Default EP Fibers Question

So I've been seeing some beautiful stuff tied with EP fibers. This has got me to hankering to start tying with the stuff.

So my question is, what is it really, this EP Fiber, and what reasonable substitutes might exist?

thanks in advance

(Hareline) Ice Fur and (Fly Tyers Dungeon) Congo Hair are possible substitutes.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Thank you Dave. may the ice recede and grant you fishing time

Anyone else have thoughts?

Default congo hair

I second the recommendation for congo hair. wonderful stuff. While you are are the fly tyers dungeon I would also pick up some of the pearl web product for flash, and theres a material called water silk that I use to tie a lot of crappie flies. good luck...
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

Blog Entries

Looks like I'm gonna have to visit Flytier's Dungeon!

Craig Matthews from BRF (zelon king) told me that EP fibers are waterproofed
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

I third the reccomendation of Congo Hair, it appears to be almost identical to EP fibers but you get a whole lot more for a whole lot less money.

If the Mad Scientist has H2O flash back in stock(his version of crystal flash)get some, again a whole lot more product for a lot less money!

Wayne

I got many differnt materials . Depends on how you want your flies to look but I tie mostly with EP and Yak hair when I want to go all natural. Got Congo hair also and most likely will buy Congo as my stock of EP fibre dwindles. Although they look very similar and they both works just fine. I like to use Angel Hair brushed into each bunch when you get ready to lay down the fibers on the hook.Just use less and less than you think you will on the flies. You can get to much bulk when you get to eye and its to late to change it. Of all the materials available Congo has the most for your dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by flybugpa View Post
    Craig Matthews from BRF (zelon king) told me that EP fibers are waterproofed
    Now that's interesting, because I have been using EP fibers for dry fly wings. No wonder they work so nice for that.

Blog Entries

You can BARELY tell a difference between EP Fiber and Congo hair. I think Congo hair is the way to go. He also has some that are mixed in color, and I like those too. Fly Tyers Dungeon is a one man operation, but high quality product. I highly recommend it. I love the Pearl Web too, but have not tried anything else yet.

+ Reply to Thread