+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal?

Default Is this normal?

I am still very new at tying. I wouldn't say that I have mastered any techniques yet, but I am growing increasingly comfortable behind the vice with what I have to work with. I have one problem. I find myself constantly wanting to try tying something different or harder or more involved. This is leading to a constant "need" to go get some different materials that I don't have yet. For the first time in my life, I find myself wanting to take a trip to a craft store just to look around. How do I cure this ailment?
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Cold Guest

Unfortunately, the topical cream to address this situation is still in testing, and has not yet received FDA approval.

Until it hits the market, the safest thing to do is alleviate the irritation by going to the craft store and getting what you need to tie that pattern!

Eventually, you'll get to the point where you find a new pattern, look at the recipe, and realize you have all of that...and the disease will begin to go into remission. It will, however, lead to another flare up when you try a completely different style of fly. As of now, these treatments can sometimes be costly, but as of now, there's no known cure, so treating the symptoms is about the only viable option.

What Cold said !!! LOL

It never goes away and is normal. There is always some other material that I don't have and need to tie something. I started tying one pattern, bought mterials for a second, then a third, and so on . . . it's a never ending process. I suppose one could be dedicated to a few patterns and keep things simple, but the grass is always greener . . . . . . you know what I mean.
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

So I guess I'm terminally ill, LOL. So how do I keep this from my family? ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by fishin' fool View Post
    So I guess I'm terminally ill, LOL. So how do I keep this from my family? ha ha
    For most of us...divorce.

Blog Entries

The best cure is to get in car and drive to every craft store around and find as much loot as you can that grabs your eye. Then head home, sit down at the vise and start tying

Stay away from Ebay and do not do a search on fly tying materials. Also do not get interested in tying original S/H's and Catskill flies.

Blog Entries

it is an addiction, I find a challenge in trying to find a substitute for what the recipe calls for that I have instead of buying something new. you will know that you are realy sick when you buy somting beceause your sure your out of it, then when you get home you find you have three unopened packages already.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

The best plan I've found is to create an area to tie in and store materials that is large enough, and to plan for room for expansion. I also purchase lots of tying and rodbuilding supplies whenever I get a chance and at all times if it is, or seems to be, a good deal. This, and spending any other free time reading about tying and rodbuilding
    keeps me from being addicted. After all I have to allow time to fish quite a lot as well. Also, joining in a few swaps helps to justify any seeming excessive time spent on these activities. These steps have so far kept me from any excessive or addictive behaviors.......................ModocDan

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    For most of us...divorce.
    Well that's encouraging. hahaha

+ Reply to Thread