+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon standing platform

Default Pontoon standing platform

Can you customize any pontoon and ad a standing platform? That looks like a neat feature.
    Thanks
    I believe I can fly fish

Marty,

I have an Outcast Fish Cat 10 IR pontoon. I have a piece of plywood that I span my frame with and tuck under the seat. It goes into the space in front of me and tucks far enough under the seat that I can safely stand on it. It also gives me a "floor" when I'm exclusively rowing. I stand up on it to flycast in calm waters and it's fine. The problem is I am usually wearing fins as I like to propel my pontoon that way when I'm fishing and I usually use the oars only when I want to cover water, as in getting from place to place.

I have this piece of plywood stored behind my seat and when I need to stand or decide to use the toon like a more conventional rowboat. I just slip it across the frame and under the seat and I'm good to go. Now the problem as I see it is that standing and fin propulsion are mutually exclusive although with those new "flip up fins" there may be possibilities. With the high seating position standing is really not necessary unless maybe sightfishing for carp at anchor.

If you stand without anchoring you are at the mercy of the wind. Fins are an asset in helping counteract wind. So you see it is somewhat of a catch22 situation. If you cornered me on preferences as to standing or finning, I would definitely go with the fins.

God Bless,
    Don

Man, our expert opinion makes me realize I just have so much to learn about watercraft, I was thinking about improvising my own with pvc pipe or something like that, I have never fished from a boat so I'm not sure how it is casting sitting down. I guess after a while you just get use to it. I don't want to spend money on something I don't really need.
    Thanks a lot.
    I believe I can fly fish

Casting while sitting is easy after a little practice. I would not try to stand on a pontoon, I would surely come to a bad end.

I'm with greenlantern, practice casting sitting down. If you think about it, sitting down on a toon puts you about the same height above the water as standing crotch deep in the water with waders on. So unless you just want to get really high up to see better I can't see much benefit, though I have to admit I don't have a platform and have never tried it. I've got a feeling that standing up would end in disaster for me. How should I put this? I'm clumsy as %#$$

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin McFly View Post
    Man, our expert opinion makes me realize I just have so much to learn about watercraft, I was thinking about improvising my own with pvc pipe or something like that, I have never fished from a boat so I'm not sure how it is casting sitting down. I guess after a while you just get use to it. I don't want to spend money on something I don't really need.
    Thanks a lot.
    why not slow things down and practice with what you just bought. if that is not enough, then design yourself a platform but i wouldnt do it with pvc pipe.

casting from a pontoon is not that hard unless youre a crappy caster then its gonna be difficult wether your standing on a platform or not.

But I am a crappy caster!! LOL, I didn't say I was going to do it right away, I was just wondering one day maybe. I wanted to try it this Sunday morning but there's a good chance of rain AGAIN...gosh I miss AZ.
    I believe I can fly fish

Standing on a platform on a toon is not that difficult. If I can do it, anyone can. However, I'm not too sure I would wanna try it without a lean-bar. I have floated a long way on a toon while standing, using a drag chain and just using the oars occasionally to steer a little. However, I use the lean bar a ton, and am not sure I would wanna try it without one. If you design a platform to use on your toon, also design a lean bar too. It'll keep you from taking a dive!
    Mark 1:17

Even women can do it.

AND, I still have my Force Fins on. I agree with Darrin. I had a sweet platform on my Pontoon. Aluminum 5' X 4'. Even had a NFO cloth seat that laid flat on the deck, but it is easy to loose your balance (at least for me) and there is nothing to grab.
    Plus it is easier to slide deck out (on NFO models, it is lift bar and slide forward) then just "step down". Allot easier then trying to climb ON the deck.

I do have a friend, however, that stands on both pontoons.......not even going to try it.

+ Reply to Thread