+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tarnished tinsel

Question Tarnished tinsel

Anyone have a recommendation to prevent tinsel from tanishing? I have several old spools and a couple of them have tarnished.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

You can use Brasso or Never-dull. Available in most grocery stores.

1.Line the bottom of the sink or a glass baking dish with a sheet of aluminum foil.
    2.Fill the foil-lined container with steaming hot water.
    3.Add salt (sodium chloride) and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to the water. Some recipes call for 2 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp salt, whereas others call for 2 tablespoons each of baking soda and salt. Personally, I wouldn't measure the amounts... just add a bit of each substance.
    4.Drop the silver items into the container so that they are touching each other and resting on the foil. You will be able to watch the tarnish disappear.
    5.Leave heavily tarnished items in the solution for as long as 5 minutes. Otherwise, remove the silver when it appears clean.
    6.Rinse the silver with water and gentlydaub dry with a soft towel. Leave out between a couple of paper towels until it dries completly.
    The tinsel may or may not dry properly as the core may shrink. This method is probably the easiest and most efficient way to get the job done as it does not require any rubbing which might distort the tinsel itself. No guarantee that the tinsel will be salvagable, but it is worth a shot. You might want to try maybe a foot or so as a test.
    Good Luck!
    George

Normand Guest

we now know how to clean it but how about the posters original question:

"Anyone have a recommendation to prevent tinsel from tanishing?"

I keep my better tinsels in boxes - one is plastic the other a cigar box . Both have covers which are kept closed when not in use and are stored in cabinets to keep as much light from them as much as possible . I've been storing them in this manner now for over 20 years and have not had any of them tarnish ..........Frank

Thanks for the cleaning recommendation. I found a product that is used in greenhouses that prevents rust. http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/in...=1038&cid3=-99
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread