+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A few questions

Default A few questions

I used masking tape to put a straight edge on a few of my guide wraps and the finish seeped underneath. Is there anyway I can chip some of it off?

A buddy told me you don't have to make an edge of finish along the last thread wrap. He said it's only necessary to cover all of the thread. He added that they put an edge on in factories because they figure people will beat the rod pretty hard and the finish will provide an extra measure of protection.

Blog Entries

You can use a single edged razor blade and shave off the offending stuff, but for it to look good, you will need to put another coat of finish over that.

I always go out past the threads a touch. To get a nice straight line, hold the brush almost straight up and down and put just enough pressure on the brush that the bristles carry the finish over onto the blank. If you use the masking tape, you need to remove it as soon as you get the finish on. Personally, I would not use the tape.

Is that as clear as mud?
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Oh! Don't do anything to remove it! ADD a little bit of finish right at the edge of the wraps to cover the area that got "seeped". Make it look intentional!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Oh! Don't do anything to remove it! ADD a little bit of finish right at the edge of the wraps to cover the area that got "seeped". Make it look intentional!
    I was under the impression that tape had stuck for some reason. If not, then forget the razor blade and do what Betty said! Make it look intentional.

As for the extra edge, I swapped a rod for a couple of reels to get some constructive feedback. After all, folks can only see just so much in a picture. One of the first things he said was that he liked to see more finish on a graphite rod. Bamboo is different. It seems that the current preference on graphite rods is for the "bubble" look to the finish over the wraps. Of course, it is your rod. Do it the way YOU want it!
    Last edited by kbproctor; 02-16-2010 at 07:48 PM.
    Kevin

Most of our wrapping is silk thread on Bamboo rods. We do not use epoxy or high build or low build. Two to three coats of the same spar varnish we use to dip the completed rod in (two coats) are very carefully applied to the wraps only. I use untreated dental floss to make sure I do not get any on the Boo. After the second coat I use a fingernail buffer (special only purchased from a supply house that deals in cosmetic stuff. All the little tags come off perfectly. Last (third) coat is applied to each wrap. Each coat is allowed to dry for at least 24 hours. Goes into the dip tube and the finish is fantastic. Yes, it takes more time and this method might not work on graphite as well. Steady hands under magnification is the secret.
    The floss trick may help you is you have a bit too mush. Easier to take off when it is wet than after it has dried.

Denny
    Last edited by Denny; 02-16-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    I like that idea, Betty. Will it still be acceptable if the seeped area is over approximately 1/8 of an inch wide?

PS. I'm slow replying becuase my home computer went down and my new one is being shipped.
    Bruce

I certainly wouldn't think 1/8 inch would be too wide. One idea, for future builds, while the rod is turning on the dryer, after you have applied the finish, before it sets up, take a piece of NON linting paper towel, fold it in half so you have a rounded, smooth edge, and hold it smartly (grandmothers word for good connection) right at the edge of the wrap ... held top and bottom (both hands ... use your imagination ... it works!) ... hold it still and let the turner work. It'll clean off any left overs and make a nice clean line at the edge of the wrap/finish.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Blog Entries

Now, I have to try that. Are you using something like the blue shop towels for that? I'm sure there is something in the painting department at Home Depot, too.
    Kevin

Bass_Bug Guest

Ok, you guys lost me on the 'straight edge' part. I've only built a few rods, and always used varnish not epoxy. Unless there is a difference between the two finishes, lets not get into a finish debate.

Don't you want the finish, no mater what you use, to extend out past the last thread wrap and taper down to the blank? Something in the neighbor hood of 3 +/- thread widths? Is the 'straight edge' to mask off a consistent distance all the way around the blank. If that's the case does it matter if that taper of finish is 3/64ths on one side and 4/64ths on the other? Or am I way off base here?

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    Now, I have to try that. Are you using something like the blue shop towels for that? I'm sure there is something in the painting department at Home Depot, too.
    Bounty ... from the local grocery store!!

+ Reply to Thread