+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adams parachute or classics?

Default Adams parachute or classics?

I love parachutes for two reasons...visibility and they stay floating like corks all day long thanks to the hackle/s position that offer/s more surface support on the water film.
    However, after many years I noticed more bites with the classic Adams...believe it or not. At least in my region.
    What's your experience in your home waters?
    Regards

My "home" water is a little stream that stays pretty dark year-round because of the tree canopy. I used to fish traditional Adams but with visibility an issue, started using parachutes more. The fish seem to like them well enough and I can definitely see the 'chutes better. Also, an easier fly to tie, which is a big plus.

Regards,
    Scott

I cast my vote for the parachute model. Easy to tie, floats like a cork, the fish love 'em, and I can see them. What's not to love?

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I prefer the more traditional....but in a thorax version.

Hi Rocketfish,

I almost never use a winged Adams for fishing. I don't even think much about useing them when I'm out fishing anymore. I also just tie them with a grizzly hackle instead of two hackles. It may not be technically a true Adams any longer, but the fish don't seem to miss the brown at all. I tie some with slim bodies and others more on the chubby side too.

Regards,
    Mark

I tend to use traditional adams to rising fish but prefer parachutes when prospecting. I don't know if the fish prefer them but I can see them better.
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 02-16-2010 at 06:58 PM. Reason: typo
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I seem to have more strikes with a parachute dry regardless of the pattern. First, I use a white post so I can see even the 20 & 22 version and second, I think they're a better trigger with the body in the menicus and the hackle spread out and refracting more light. And yes, they do float all day!
    Coughlin
    Calling flyfishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.
    Paul Schullery

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Vendon View Post
    Hi Rocketfish,

I almost never use a winged Adams for fishing. I don't even think much about useing them when I'm out fishing anymore. I also just tie them with a grizzly hackle instead of two hackles. It may not be technically a true Adams any longer, but the fish don't seem to miss the brown at all. I tie some with slim bodies and others more on the chubby side too.

Regards,
    Mark
    Not only do I use just grizzly hackle on size #14 and smaller, I tie all of mine with a biot body/dubbed thorax. I do the same with the Hairwing Dun version I tie, too (minus the dubbed thorax). In the true spirit of the pattern, it's really not even an Adams any more, although what we consider an Adams today is a departure from the original, which had a tail of golden pheasant tippets and spent wings. I also tie a tan-bodied version and sub barred ginger hackle for grizzly.

Regards,
    Scott

I usually tie the traditional pattern but I use Cree instead of griz and brown.

Quote Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
    I usually tie the traditional pattern but I use Cree instead of griz and brown.

dangit- i want some cree!

i usually go w/ parachute...

+ Reply to Thread