+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone flyfish for perch?

Default Anyone flyfish for perch?

Has anyone ever fished for perch? If so, wet, or dry flies? And what patterns?Thanks
    - David

------------------
    Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once.
    -Lee Wulff

Flytyer317;
    Not intentionaly but have caught them on Scuds while fishing for panfish.

Flytyer,
    Try using an appropriate size Clouser. Maybe a #10 or #12.

I've caught many perch when casting for panfish this way. Usually it's been accidental though.

Jeremy.

Assuming you are referring to yellow perch. Yes, a couple of my favorite lakes have good populations of yellow perch along with crappie & gills. I usually catch the perch along with the others using a small streamer or wet fly. It may be a fig newton of my imagination but I think that the yellow perch like a fly with a little yellow in it.

Tim Anderson

Yellow perch are nothing but annoying little panfish that get in your way when pursuing browns, 'bows, and other trout. Great for kids too.

What works .... well, anything really. Wooly Buggers of various colors / variations, prince nymphs, alley shrimp, muddlers, adams, wulffs, wet / dry ..... any color - and have caught 6 inch perch on sizes up to #4-2XL hooks (a few times - they are agressive / fiesty ones). Best patterns found on various lakes has been an olive bead headed wooly bugger and rust-colored wooly worm (unweighted) - both on #8 hooks standard shank lengths.

darrell,

Mid-march we get a run of white perch in the area brackish rivers.
    It's the first real action of the year so you see alot of people out for them. Although non are fly fishing.
    I like a small Clouser or similar bead headed bucktail.

------------------
    "Although prequalifed by virtue of their brain size, trout have no politics."
    J.A.Kassane
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Hi Flytyer317,
    I agree with Panman about the yellow and red flies.
    Here in Maryland when the yellow perch are running we use Mickey Finn Streamers. I have also caught them using a white wolly bugger with red hackle and collar, and a brass conehead.I have also use a baby bugger about sz 8 or 10 tied with the variegated chenneile brown and yellow.
    We still have to get through February and half of March before the little darlings show up here so that should allow for some tying time to get ready. Then the shad will run in the Potomac.
    Hope this helps.
    Gerri

For yellow perch I like small white clousers and for white perch in fresh water small black wet flies.

I always unintentionally get them when fishing any small minnow pattern. It is always a pleasant surprise because it is one of the couple fish that I actually keep for the table.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

This guy does:

[url=http://www.globalflyfisher.com/staff/bouma/perch/:a6f53]http://www.globalflyfisher.com/staff/bouma/perch/[/url:a6f53]

It's always interesting to see how they do things on the other side of the pond.

+ Reply to Thread