+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fly swap information

Default fly swap information

How do we get notified about the fly swaps?
    Jerry McKaughan
    Pottsville, AR 72858

Blog Entries

watch the fly swap section, when there is a new swap it will be posted there, reply quickly some fill up in a mater of hours, most take a day or so. then follow the thread for information on each swap masters preferences etc.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

If you are interested in joining a swap watch the fly swaps board. The host will announce the swap there with a theme, sign up date, number of tyers to participate and due date for the flies. Usually anyone can sign up and swap will be filled on a first come basis. Very rarely a swapmeister will reject a tyer, usually because they have failed to meet their obligations in previous swaps.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Default As a Swapmeister....

As a Swapmeister, I post the Fly Swap, 2 months ahead of the Deadline for the Fly Swap. Swapmeister are not just there to collect and sort the assorted fly pattens mailed in, they are there to support the fly tiers, to solve problems, and give advise.

A fly tier, who is late in shipment of their promised contribution, puts a kaboom on the fly swap, with everyone waiting on one individual. There is a lot of effort put into these Fly Swaps by many tiers, and everything gets put on "Hold" waiting on one tier.

I require a email address as well as a phone number. There have been swaps where I told the tier, that the deadline has pass, and to keep the flies. If a tier has difficulties to the point that they might not be able to meet the deadline, it is imperative that they contact the Swapmeister!

As the Swapmeister of "Beginners Only", I run a tight ship. For the most part members of the swap comply with the rules! It is a courtesy to the Swapmeister, to inform the Swapmeister when the flies have been shipped! The Swapmeister as a curtesy to the member of the Swap, notifies them when the flies have arrived. Swapmeister also notifies all members of the Swap, when the sorted flies have been shipped back out!

Swapmeister Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 02-14-2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: addition

Blog Entries

Parnell isn't kidding about the tight ship! He makes us spit shine the hooks!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Blog Entries

*Shameless plug*

If you are looking for one to join, there is a bluegill swap that still has 3 spots open.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Bass_Bug Guest

Woodenlegs,

If you have not participated in a swap before, or maybe just not on this site, I strongly recommend you go through several swap threads on this forum and read the thread start to finish, especially one or two of Meistered by "Steven McGarthwaite". Like the man points out, courtesy plays a BIG part in swapping. The object is collect share flies and have fun, but it's no fun when others are not courteous. Rules for a swap can be individually set my the Meister, but are generally aways about the same. When you join a swap, you agree to the rules posted by the Meister. If you don't like they're rules, don't join their swap.

There is a 'Sticky thread' at the top of this forum ( http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ant-Swap-Items ) thats a collection of swap rules/ideas/suggestions/ and opinions from many members on here. If you have not read it yet, you should start with reading that top to bottom. That will give you a good sense on how swaps on FAOL generally operate. If you have any questions feel free to post and ask, or PM any of the members who have Meistered a swap. I'm suer anyone will point you in the right direction.

I do a Beginners Only Fly Swap, those who are just beginning fly tying, and those who have never joined in a fly swap. I post the swaps on October first, and the first of five swaps begins in November, skip Decembers (I don't do them), January, February, March, April. Each month is a different category, this year Novembers was a Soft Hackle Wet Fly, January it was Nymphs, February was the dreaded Dry Fly, March is Streamers, and April will be Terrestrials. I have strict due date for when the flies should have arrived in my mailbox.

I quickly judge the members skills in dressing their chosen fly pattern. I notify them of the shipments arrival, I record the fly pattern, the material list and take a macro photo of the fly, I post these on the FAOL Fly Swap Board, there are three Swaps already posted for Beginner's Only.

I help with the mailing matters by suppling pre addressed from and to envelopes, I supply the container for the the flies, I supply the printed toe tags. The members only have to supply the flies and postage on both envelops. As soon as the last members flies arrive, I am immediately sorting the flies so they can be going out in the next days post pickup. Besides keeping the swap running, I answer question emailed to me, I even ship out fly tying material from my own fly shop (furnace room). The one thing I dislike the most is when a member is not communicating with the group, and the flies are late and there is no answer from the member. You do that other Swapmeister might refuse to accept you into their swaps. ~Parnelli

Few years back my Beginners Fly Swap was so poplar on FAOL, that I had 4 separate groups going at the same time for 6 monthly swaps, and each group had 12 members, I remember one group had 14..... I am a retired Army Platoon Sergeant, Little stuff like that does not slow me down.....it all in a days duties. ~Parnelli

In the Army I required all my student to maintain a 90 percentile on all tests...... if they have not learn, then it is obvious that I had not taught!

+ Reply to Thread