+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J. Stockard hooks

Default J. Stockard hooks

Has anyone ordered and used any of the J. Stockard line of hooks yet? $10-12 per 100 has me interested in trying some...

I just got mustad 36890 hooks for 12.99 from cabelas for a hundred hooks

been using their scud hooks for some time now, great hooks for the price. no complaints.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Mustads have always treated me right and they are a sponsor here. Hook and Hackle always has great prices on hooks and they are also a sponsor here. That's an easy answer for me.

Rick

Bass_Bug Guest

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid View Post
    Has anyone ordered and used any of the J. Stockard line of hooks yet? $10-12 per 100 has me interested in trying some...
    What part of J. Stockard hooks did you guys not understand???? Q.Kid didn't ask about ONE particular Mustad Number and he didn't ask about H&H. But since you brought it up, sponsor or not, H&H's web site is antiquated and lacks product information.
    Here's another example of such:
    H&H brand 4XL #2 Streamer hook for $3.39 yet it doesn't say for how many?
    http://shop4.mailordercentral.com/hookhack/basket.asp

J.Stockard 4XL #2 Streamer available in 25, 50 and 100 packs and even tells you what the hook compares to in other brands.
    http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/...HK-010245-GA02

Not saying I'm anti H&H they just don't impress me at all, and I certainly won't patronize them just BECAUSE they are a sponsor. That mentality is for the no-brainers!

The Hook & Hackle web site may not be the best, but the H&H brand hooks are very good and around $10 per 100 depending on model. Their hooks use the same model numbers as TMC and they carry most of the popular hook models for trout fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    What part of J. Stockard hooks did you guys not understand???? Q.Kid didn't ask about ONE particular Mustad Number and he didn't ask about H&H. But since you brought it up, sponsor or not, H&H's web site is antiquated and lacks product information.
    Here's another example of such:
    H&H brand 4XL #2 Streamer hook for $3.39 yet it doesn't say for how many?
    http://shop4.mailordercentral.com/hookhack/basket.asp

J.Stockard 4XL #2 Streamer available in 25, 50 and 100 packs and even tells you what the hook compares to in other brands.
    http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/...HK-010245-GA02

Not saying I'm anti H&H they just don't impress me at all, and I certainly won't patronize them just BECAUSE they are a sponsor. That mentality is for the no-brainers!
    At a time when we are loosing sponsors it's a good thing to promote sponsors. I have bought and continue to buy from other sources, but I think it is a good thing to promote the sponsors that make it possible for us to have this exchange. If the price is the same and the hook is better why not? I personally won't give a sponsor $100 for something when I can buy the very same thing elsewhere for $50, but if they are close, I like to go to sponsors first.

We all vote with our dollars and I tend to support those that support me. Everyone has to make their own decisions on this and I will never tell you what to do, but I have made my own mind up. I think this mode of operation is in my best interest. You have to decide for yourself what is in your best interest.

I have my own hook source that I like.

That being said, I'll wager that the H&H hooks, the J. Stockard Hooks, and most of the 'whatever the fly fishing materials company name' hooks are likely the same hooks. They certainly look the same and use the same descriptions. Probably the same hooks that I get from my source as well.

Remember that it's only a fish hook. They've been making them with machines for a couple of hundred years. How different can they be? How much do those little differences really matter?

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Wow... I didn't expect this sort of response. 99 times out of 100, I buy Mustads. Thanks for the feedback...

QK,
    Never used the Stockard hooks or the H&H hooks for that matter but have used Cabelas and BassPro house brand hooks. Like Buddy said, they're probably the same hooks. I also use a lot of Mustad.

I can't say that I've ever had a hook fail me from any maker. I usually hang them in a tree or snag them on a rock or stump long before any defect in a hook would be seen.

I guess what I'd say is for the small investment, your best bet would most likey be to buy a couple boxes and see how they work for you. If they meet your needs, they're a great hook. If you don't like them, it's not a very expensive lesson to learn.

Maybe I'm not a very scientific angler (although I have used their fly lines from time to time ) but I'm probably more in the Buddy Sander's camp of a hook is a hook is a hook. If it's the right size and shape for what I'm tying, they'll all stick and hold a fish and they all leave equally pretty ornaments hanging in the trees alongside the stream.

If you try them and like them, I, for one, would like to read a review.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread