+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hey

Default hey

is horse hair ever used in tying ...????i know it used to be used in the line ...but i dont believe i have ever seen it in one recipe
    yeah ,like they are just gonna jump on the hook ,,,huh

I just saw in a catalog yesterday that there was some for sale. They said it could be used for small quill wing body dry flies.

Most of the mosquito patterns I tye are tyed with hair from my sons horses. The mane and tail hairs are unbelievably strong.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

It is way too early to be thinking this way, but now I have to come up with a fly tied with hair from the very base of a horse's tail just so I can call it a "Horse's A**" I don't care if it catches fish. It will catch fishermen just because of the name.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I have tied several patterns with horse hair. A friend gave me some and I bought a packet from Feather-Craft. Do a small build up of thread to give a tapered look and then wrap. I did coat the hair with head cement.

We all watched the 'movie', A River Runs Through It, years ago, in fact, I just watched it again last week...
    Anywho, there is a reference to a 'Bunyan Bug' fly and the wing on this fly is made of horse hair.

Here's a pic:

In fact, as I did a search on the Bunyan Bug, I found this interesting page and some recipes of the newest twist on the Bunyan Bug: http://frontrangeanglers.com/newslet.../bunyanbug.htm

Kelly.
    Last edited by kglissmeyer; 02-11-2010 at 02:37 PM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Makes great bodies on smaller flies.

Hi,

I've seen a dressing where the body is horse hair, wrapped like a quill body, and the tail and hackle are as per an Adams (grizzle and natural red mixed). Don't recall wings, and I'm not sure there were any.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Google the Sandy Mite fly series. Potts flies. They are woven horsehair and yarn.
    http://www.edtu.org/Article.asp?ArticleID=48
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/ This one shows it being tied with fox squirrel, but the only tie I ever saw was done with horse hair.
    There are several other good sites on the web.
    Last edited by Lew; 02-11-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Add text
    They're just fish, right? Right?

+ Reply to Thread