+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sea run browns

Default sea run browns

Looking for info on sea run browns on long island, NY

First let me say Hi to anyone and everyone. I am real new to the sport and I have found this site is an excellent source of all kinds of information. And obviously fun with the hijinks on some of the BB posts I have read!

Sea trout are sea run browns, I think.

My annual vacation in the fall, is on the north side of the Gaspe peninsula, which is upstream from you, and it is a big part of the reason for my interest in the sport of fly fishing.

In my first book "The Fly Tying Bible" there are quite a number of patterns for "Sea Trout."

The locals last fall, showed me a couple of producing flies. They looked like a cross between Bi-Visible, tied brown-red, and a Royal Wulff, without the red floss.

Last fall was my first time for flyfishing, and I was VERY impressed when standing in a line of fly fishermen, and one lady, everyone else caught SEVERAL fish, but true to history, all I did was loose a few flies, and land some solid hits in my hat, vest and once in my thumb.

This fall I hope to get my revenge, armed with a little more knowledge, and flies!

Remember to wet your lines, not your boots!

I hate to disagree, but "sea trout" are not trout at all. Sea trout, or speckled trout, who are caught in estuaries and in the ocean, are actually members of the drum family. They are similar in construction to red fish. There is another species, maybe even a sub species, called a summer trout or weak fish.
    I have heard of trout being sea run, but I have no idea if there appearance changes or how to target them.
    I am anxious to see who responds about sea-run browns, and the info they give. I know we don't have them down here, but I've always wanted to better understand that life cycle.

Swamp

There's one stream on LI, and the name slips my mind. I do know it's special regs and you need to reserve a time to fish it that has some sea run fish, but they might be rainbows or brookies. I know in NJ there's been an active effort to reestablish sea run browns in the coastal rivers there, the Manasquan is one.
    The life cycle is similar to that of a steelhead. They're born in fresh water and, instead of staying in fresh water they migrate out into the ocean, and live and feed in the coastal waters and eventually make their way back to there home waters to spawn. There were at one time quite a few streams along the NE coast that had sea run brook trout, I believe they called them "Coasters" Then as rainbows and browns were introduced into streams with access to the ocean, some of them got the urge to go down to the sea. Back to Long Island, I do have a friend who fishes there and tells us that there are other streams that have sea run trout, but the only one he takes any one to is the public one.
    Sea run Browns are refered to as Sea Trout in Europe. Sea trout to most folks along the East Coast are as Swamp says members of the drum family. I can think of three though there may be more. The Weakfish, which is the largest and most northern, then there's the Gray Sea Trout and the Spotted Sea Trout and they seem to be found south of Cheasapeake Bay and along the gulf coast.
    The brown trout, like a steelhead, loses what we would consider typical brown trout colors, and becomes silver by the time it returns to its homestream. The longer it remains in fresh water the more it will look like a "typical" brown trout.
    How to catch them. They're still few and far between along the Jersey coast. I think they would respond to streamer, minnow imitations, or whatever the local bait fish happens to be, around NJ, that would be silversides, bay anchovies, killies, grass shrimp.

Thanks to all that responded.
    Philly your info was very helpful. The water I'm looking to fish both originate from springs run thru the parks and empty over a small waterfall into a pool of brackish water. I figure that the searuns will hold in the pool till high tide when access up the falls will be easier. All the fish that escape from the stocked park or the hatchery should return the same way.

Adrien,
    Welcome, welcome, welcome. Perhaps you have already seen some threads on women vs men in the fishing, fly tieing and casting comments of this board. I always read anything about that subject and can say that fishermen love fishing the same stream as fisherladies. Any exceptions to this rule (and they are extremely rare) are not men but young guys trying to learn the sport but think they already have it down pat. I have a daughter who fly fishes when she gets a chance and when she goes she is looking for the same thing that the guys are, a kind solitude that fishing is able to provide. She enjoys conversation with other fishers but does not like cat calls from the beach when her fly wraps around a branch or she looses a fish. Who would? But men fishers don't get that kind of guff and she takes it in stride like a lady by considering the source...usually some very young guys who love to tease and are not half the fisher that she is. She'll say If you guys want some fishing pointers, I'd be glad to help! This brings out a loud oooooo! She knows they're flirting but there's a time and place for everything. See Her in next month's issue of National Geographic ...the article on Abydos, Egypt.
    I'm proud of her.

Ol' Bill

[This message has been edited by snipe (edited 24 February 2005).]

Thanks for all the info folks, and yes I do feel the warm welcome of a great bunch, but then aren't all fisher - people -men!

Hammmer if you are interested in some scientific info, here is a good page to look at:
    [url=http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsaf/sportfishing/species/brn.htm:0df5e]http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsaf/sportfishing/species/brn.htm[/url:0df5e]

However, there isn't any info on how to, which shines through everywhere on this site.

From fishing, fly tying, dogs to digital cameras, it is all here, and I greatly appreciate it!

It is nice to know that all the crap we see, read and hear in the news, is not important here, and probably for one simple reason - the fish don't give a damn!

------------------
    Remember to wet your line, not your boots!

+ Reply to Thread