+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water skeeter day tripper ii

Default Water skeeter day tripper ii

Anybody has any info on the Water Skeeter day tripper II?
    Thanks
    I believe I can fly fish

no experience with the day tripper ii, but i did purchase a water skeeter pontoon from cabelas that never made it on the water. the seam failed on one of the bladders before it was fully inflated and i had a strap holder break on the other side as i was cinching it down. i have seen the daytripper on sale at sierra trading post, but the overall reviews were poor enough to keep me from pulling the trigger. just googling daytripper, i haven't been able to find a whole lot of folks that had much positive to say about them. unless i was getting a screaming deal, (would have to be darn near free for me) would shy away from them. for a lower end float tube, the outcast fishcat is darn tough to beat.

I bought a Day Tripper float tube about 6-8 years ago. It looked like it would float a Volkwagen and it just might. However, I sat so far out of the water that it was hard to get backward propulsion from my kick fins. It floated my knees so far out of the water that most of my fin kicking was futile at best and felt like I was trying to push myself straight up rather than in any direction. I sold it and bought a Gatti IM6 fly rod.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I'm glad I asked. What about the field and stream pontoons? I believe they are made either by creek company or Outcast.
    Thanks guys
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 02-08-2010 at 07:17 PM.
    I believe I can fly fish

JW Outfitters makes the F&S Pontoon. From people I know that have one, they seem happy with it.
    As far as the Day Tripper, I had one of the first ones. It was sold with the Orvis name on it so no worries about warranty one way or the other. Seams failed as mentioned on first one, didn't have second long enough.
    SEVERAL valves, and at least two different kinds at that. Hard to put together right.
    Very bulky to transport inflated, and as mentioned, sit high and caught by wind allot. I didn't notice the lack of leg/flipper in the water though. Had plenty to move, but fought the wind allot.

If I was to do it all over again, I would go North Fork Outdoors. One of the ONLY USA made anymore, Bladderless, so light, new design that is stable as all get out, and a choice of frameless. It really answers all.

I should just forget about getting a kayak/pontoon and get me another fly rod...this is giving me a headache lol. I do wanna make a good decision thou. I'm not planning to use it in the ocean so that narrows down my alternatives I guess.
    I'm not interested in the Day Tripper but still considering the Field and Stream one, it's a basic model but it's around my budget ($ 200 - 250). Suggestions accepted for that small budget just don't laugh at me.
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 02-17-2010 at 03:35 PM.
    I believe I can fly fish

The only thing I am going to say is, I am betting, you will hate the seat.
    Specially after a couple of hours. The molded plastic chairs WITH a padded seat really are the best, but it will put you more in the $300 and up range.

Everyone I know that has had a mesh seat either sold the boats because of that or tried to fabricate a more comfortable model.

Just trying to give you a heads up to make note of. I am sure there are a few that love the seats as well.

Yeah, the seat is just plastic but I just found out they allow pontoons in the lake and for $ 150 I don't know, I might go for it. I know a thing or two about upholstery so I might work on the seat.
    I believe I can fly fish

If it is the molded plastic, no problem. t looked like the mesh style, those are not great for long term at all.

Yes, it's the molded plastic. I made sure to ask the guy who's selling it. What about that brand in general, is it descent?
    I believe I can fly fish

+ Reply to Thread