+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ? for buddy sanders

Smile ? for buddy sanders

I have only used lead eyes for clouser type patterns, to make the hook ride up and wonder what they do on the wiggle minnow. Do you attach them above or below the hook shank? If their primary purpose is to serve as a platform for the foam, might bead chain eyes be better or do you need the extra weight?

Thanks for the good looking stuff, hope to try them soon. Also, any info on tying the knot that you mentioned, sme type of loop?

Jalama,

You do need the weight.

The eyes are tied on below the hook shank, you want the weight as low as possible.

I use bead chain eyes on little bitty ones that I use for bluegills.

I usually use a snap on these, makes it easier to change them and the fish don't care. When I use a loop knot, I use the Rapala Knot (non slip loop knot) you can see how to tie it on hte Rapala website. Any loop knot will work, though, use what you are comfortable with.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default bead eyes

I use glass beads to make eyes for small flies. A piece of micro chenille threaded through the holes and knotted on each end then tied on. Works great for small sizes, and lots of colors and textures.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

jalama:

How about a little clarification of your question. Do you want the point to ride up, and serving"somewhat" as a built-in snag guard, or riding down, in the traditional fashion? Do you want the fly to sink head-end or butt-end first, or sink basically "horizontally"? How deep do you want it to sink? Do want to fish it over weed beds, or "dredge" the bottom, as my buddies and I do, for spring spawn running white bass or that big largemouth that has been driven deep by the cold weather? Each and everyone of these factors play into a meaningful answer to your question.

I hate to just to take a "shotgun" reply. I could be here all day!

Greenlantern and Aged_Sage...,

Jalama was asking me a question about a particular fly that I'd shared with him earlier.

Sorry for the confusion.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread