+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: if you don't use a Whip finisher?????

Jim Slattery Guest

Whip finish by hand. Everything and everysize. If you are having trouble bending the hook on smaller flies use less pressure on your wraps, the thread is not going anywhere. Personally I use head cement, the runny stuff, either applied with a bodkin oy a cut quill tip the latter for precision for un waxed thread and store bought waxed thread. I tie a lot of my Flymphs using wax from an old recipe from J Harrington Keene that Leisenring favored. This wax is basically an adhesive made mostly of pine rosin. Tie a fly with this stuff and the fly is virtually indestructable including the whip finish at the end. The half hitch is the least secure and reliable way to finish a fly, head cement or glue is a must or your fly will unravel. I'm not a big fan of the wonder glue. I've had flies unravel using the stuff. Went back to the bench and tried use the glue in conjuction with a whip finish and had a glob at the end of my fly Head cement is just easier for me.
    Great question.
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim Slattery; 02-04-2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling

I whip finish everything by hand, mostly because I can never lay something down in the same place twice, so have to search my desk every time I want another tool, and the one on the end of my fingers is always there.

Default hook sizes

i have never tied anything below a 14........i generally tie long-shank 10's...which is my fav.....even 4 wooly-buggers....i'll use a # 10.........

Which way to finish off a fly? It is not a question of which is best for everyone, use the method that is best for YOU!Some people can whip finish by hand, some use a tool, some use 1/4 or1/2 hitches by hand or tool. Some use glue, but whatever you use, use what is best for you, you are the one tying that fly. Take care, John.

+ Reply to Thread