+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A little more on the elegant side of things....

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer View Post
    I just saw some cool looking Hosels on the Merrick site - check them out. Also, several manufacturers are now making handles out of cork with matching hardwood on the fore and aft of the grip to match the reel seat. Thanks for the discussion guys. It's been a, er, well - fun? ...informative at the least.

Kelly.
    GREAT application for some "stabilized wood"... Its like chrome on a car. Some REALLY makes it good great...but think about an "all chrome" car????????

A decent lathe needed to make your own...but even one of the little bitty "pen lathe's" work for pieces that small.

Cold Guest

Its like chrome on a car. Some REALLY makes it good great...but think about an "all chrome" car?[punctuation abuse eliminated]
    Considering its a matter of personal taste, it's really not a stretch to say it might be attractive. In fact, I've been really impressed by all the wood grips I've seen. Whether that's me liking a "chrome car" or your analogy being off the mark is, again, up to personal opinion. Another way of looking at it might be like the use of graphite or glass for a blank. Both have their pros and cons, one is far more widely used than the other, but the less used one certainly has its own mechanical merits, not to mention aesthetic differences that are ugly to some and beautiful to others. Furthermore, builders use one or the other, or both in a wide variety of finished products to achieve different effects, both mechanical and visual.

Mr Cold when you want quality cork for a handle got pickybastard.com. looks like great stuff but you will pay a pretty penny for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    Considering its a matter of personal taste, it's really not a stretch to say it might be attractive. In fact, I've been really impressed by all the wood grips I've seen. Whether that's me liking a "chrome car" or your analogy being off the mark is, again, up to personal opinion. Another way of looking at it might be like the use of graphite or glass for a blank. Both have their pros and cons, one is far more widely used than the other, but the less used one certainly has its own mechanical merits, not to mention aesthetic differences that are ugly to some and beautiful to others. Furthermore, builders use one or the other, or both in a wide variety of finished products to achieve different effects, both mechanical and visual.
    You're right..Im wrong. I dont know jack squat....never been anywhere...never done anything...your right

You guys keep building them, I'll keep on catching fish.

Thanks!

Cold Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    You're right..Im wrong. I dont know jack squat....never been anywhere...never done anything...your right

I hope you dont cry...

...but will you please leave now?

Cold Guest

Quote Originally Posted by baitwaister View Post
    Mr Cold when you want quality cork for a handle got pickybastard.com. looks like great stuff but you will pay a pretty penny for it.
    A friend of mine who builds pointed me there as well. If I go the cork route, it'll probably be with them, if not my friends stock. Thanks for the link tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    So what are you trying to say? People who make or even like the looks of wooden grips are morons? I dont see how arguing over personal preference on aesthetics/feel is productive or helpful to anyone. Everyone has there own opinions and that is fine. I drive a Ford pick-up....always have....does that mean I should chastise my neighbor because he has a Chevy in his driveway? To each his own. Lets all move on to something more useful.....

Kevin...sorry your thread has been hi-jacked. Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures of the nice rods you are building.

Yonks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yonks311 View Post
    I drive a Ford pick-up....always have....does that mean I should chastise my neighbor because he has a Chevy in his driveway? To each his own.

Kevin...sorry your thread has been hi-jacked. Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures of the nice rods you are building.

Yonks
    I was enjoying the hijack originally. We had a good exchange of ideas and thoughts going on. Lots of "What-ifs?" which I do enjoy.

The open minded exchange of ideas is where innovation lives and thrives. It doesn't matter if any of it has any true merit. Sometimes something will get mentioned that triggers another thought that triggers another thought and you have something new, or why something old is better is explained, which can also lead to something new. The participating parties being open minded is crucial or it ceases to be productive or even remotely enjoyable.

I have a Ford Ranger as my daily driver because I liked the way it looks and a Chevy S-10 was flat ugly to me and a '71 Chevy 4x4 because the price was right and I know how to work on them for a project truck. I am dead certain that somehow I am wrong there, too.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread