+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New hat needed...

Default New hat needed...

My current lid is on its last leg and I'm looking for help. My habit of dunking it to cool off on hot days is finally catching up with it -- mold is rotting it from the inside out.

Here are the basic criteria: full brim, but not a sombero -- less than 2.5 inch brim. Synthetic. Lightweight (no gore-tex please, its too hot for non-rain). Solid not mesh.

I'm amazed that I can't find anything. I may wind-up going with a filson for cool conditions and a stawish mesh thing like some golfers wear for summer.

Then again, maybe I can get another year out of the old one Help.

One word : TILLEY
    Check 'em out!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I'm with Betty...TILLEY all the way...Love mine...I'm sure if you check out their web site you will fine just the one for you.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I wear a ballcap that says SPAM across the front...lol

I like ball hats, but they don't cover the ears (and the sun hats like you always see lefty in are a bit much for me). It looks like the tilley t5 model has a smaller brim. I'm not sure about the bigger in the front/smaller on the sides thing tilley does. I'll be looking into it. I wish there was a local shop that had it along with the filsons. And I don't understand why a cotton or nylon hat should ryun more than 50 bucks, but it looks like I'm going to bite the bullet unless I can find another optoin.

Why? In the literature you'll find that the hat can be swallowed by an elephant, passed, washed, and worn again!! How many lesser expensive hats can have THAT said about them??
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Here's where to find Tilley's in NY State. Click on USA, Retail Stores, then retail partners in your State.
    http://www.tilley.com/retail-stores-ty.asp

These hats will SPOIL ya! Ladyfisher told me years ago that a Tilley can't be beat & she was right.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

i usually grow my hair out for summer, wear a freeby baseball cap for eye shade and dispense with the thought of expensive hats. Garage sales are great for hats!!
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Blog Entries

To me your specs say "boonie hat", found at any sporting goods store, surplus place, or catalog, dozens of colors, patterns, and fabrics to choose from, easily replaceable when it comes to life...

Terribly unfashionable, but the day I start worrying about PC and the fashion police, shoot me in the head. If I have to have a different hat for every activity...

As for the old one, around here we usually shoot our fishing hats once they have developed the means of locomotion, and then burn them for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber View Post
    Here's where to find Tilley's in NY State. Click on USA, Retail Stores, then retail partners in your State.
    http://www.tilley.com/retail-stores-ty.asp

These hats will SPOIL ya! Ladyfisher told me years ago that a Tilley can't be beat & she was right.
    Mike

$75 for a CANVAS HAT?
    *129 for a long sleeved shirt...etc..etc.?

I dont make a fashion statement when Im on the river...I go to FISH!

Let me fish with the old dude with a wad of Levi Garret in his mouth..barefooted and wearing "bibs".....

+ Reply to Thread