+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cast and blast in Argentina

Default Cast and blast in Argentina

I am planning our trip back down to AR in July to hunt ducks, geese, perdiz, doves, and pigeons. I about have the blast part worked out, but still have some research to do on the cast. My guide was just here in GA, and he has contacts who have trout water. But from what I see and know, Argentina places seasons on trout fishing everywhere. I am trying to figure out whether there is any year-around trout fishing there.

Anyone have any personal experience winter fishing there or insight?

[This message has been edited by Rawthumb (edited 01 March 2005).]

That sounds like a great idea. If Montana is on fire can I come with you?

As long as you pay your way and don't keep us up nights snoring.

Of course, I'm not sure that there is such a thing as a gamewarden in Argentina. Who would know or care if were deep within a private estancia catching and releasing trout on a fly during their very mild winter?

[This message has been edited by Rawthumb (edited 02 March 2005).]

not done that before. what is your expected cost?

Rich

One lead, and this is more like a scavenger hunt: The guy who "invented" the seal bugger, I can't remember his name. I watched him tie in Portland and while he tied he was boasting about how he was hired by the Argentine government to help them develop their flyfishing scene. He was there for quite a while. Maybe you could contact him?

Benjo:

I'll have to try and track him down. I'm not sure who he is.

Rich:

My situation is a little different because I have done things for the guide, so I get a little better rate.

The mixed bag hunting, including food and lodging, will cost about $375-400 per day on the low end, and some lodges charge in the $700-800 per day range. Ammo has gotten more difficult to obtain for the outfitters because the gov't has been monkeying with the rules. It will be in the $9-10 per box (25 rounds) range for low brass lead shot. Some of the high end lodges for the big sea run brown down at Rio Gallegos and on the Rio Grande are up there in the stratosphere too.

I want to find someowhere that has an open trout season then, even as far north as Mendoza Province, and fish it on the cheap. There are parks in AR with access fees, but I am informed that there is no fishing in them during winter months. I know of a fishing shop in Buenos Aires where one could book a float trip on the Malleo River (Argies pronounce it "My-shayo" in their non-Castillian Spanish) for about $130-150 a day.

Finding a reasonable flight to AR has gotten more difficult.

[This message has been edited by Rawthumb (edited 03 March 2005).]

Rawthumb:

You have some waters open for flyfishing (C&R) during our fall/ winter in Patagonia. Some are Alicura lake (Dam), Moreno lake, etc.etc. If you wish to go to Patagonia, just let me know it and I'll check our regulations and inform you. You also have several places in Cordova Province and Mendoza Province but nothing compared with Patagonia, which is not so far from those places.
    Rocketfish
    Argentina

+ Reply to Thread