+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of sunglasses ....

Thumbs up Speaking of sunglasses ....

..... we were speaking of sunglasses, weren't we ??

Just a heads up on a great deal on some really good sunglasses - Smith Action Optics Riverside model from Sierra Trading Post. I think the link says it all.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...olarized-.html

For those who are not familiar with Sierra Trading Post - it is a great place for super deals on quality clothing, gear, and a bunch of other stuff, usually closeouts, and provides excellent customer service. ( While the usual S&H on a purchase in this amount would be $9.95, they only charged $5.95 because of the small size of the item. )

John

P.S. There are several other models of Smith sunglasses availabe. In the upper right hand corner of the box describing the Riverside model, there is a Smith icon. Click on it to see other models on sale at STP.
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the link. Man, I still wish they made the Wood River model, best sunglasses I ever owned.

nice deal. a couple of other good discount sites are: steepandcheap.com and dealsonthefly.com. steep and cheap is not necessarily fly fishing related, but they have a lot of good deals on clothing, sunglasses, boots etc. usually a new item every 25 minutes or so. deals on the fly is strictly fly fishing related, but not nearly as much turnover on the items.

Here is a link to a brand I think is every bit as good as Smith Action Optics for a fraction of the cost. Give them a looksee. Guideline
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Default Glass vs. Plastic

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    Here is a link to a brand I think is every bit as good as Smith Action Optics for a fraction of the cost. Give them a looksee. Guideline
    Tyrone -

I didn't read the entire Guideline site, but it looks like all their sunglasses are "multi-layered, polycarbonate lenses".

The Riverside by Smith has a hightech GLASS lens, which should prove much more scratch resistant and should provide much clearer images ( if I may put it that way ) for a much longer time.

If you want polycarbonate or other plastics, Smith has those also, at what are probably very competitive prices compared to Guideline, especially if you can pick them up on STP.

The sunglasses I am replacing were Nikon glass lens. After wearing them virtually every day for seven and a half years, they are still scratch free, but starting to show wear. I doubt that any polycarbonate or other plastic will match that kind of use / abuse. The Nikons retailed at $300 - but I got them on closeout at STP for $40.

There are some Costa Del Mar's with their 580 glass lenses which may well be as good as the Nikon's and better than the Smith, but at $230 retail, they are a bit much. Now, if I could find them at less than half price ......

Not saying the Guidelines aren't good glasses, but if you look at different models across their line and compare features, it doesn't look like they can be had for a fraction of the cost of the Smith glasses, especially from STP ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Cool

sorry cant buy in expensive sun glass. lol just spent a small fortune on presricpt sun glass.
    Ghost

I looked at both of the a fore mentioned sites and couldn't find flip up lenses at either.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Blog Entries

I am with John on the glass lenses. Polycarbonate lenses give me eyestrain after a while, but I can wear Smith (or Maui Jim) glass lenses all day with no problems. I just can't AFFORD them.

If you ever find the perfect sunglasses, buy a lifetime supply, because almost all of them are as ephemeral as any other consumer product these days. They make a model for a short time then discontinue it and make something else.

I can sell you a pair of regular optical frames and polarized lenses for that!!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I never pay shipping there. Check the catalogs...always a riddle in one of the item descriptions, answer it and no regular ship charge.

(or you can cheat and google "Sierra trading post" and "free shipping riddle"
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread