+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arbors/Related thread

Default Arbors/Related thread

I've always wondered, when you build arbors (I use mesh dry wall tape) does the blank in between the mesh arbors come in contact with the reel seat? Is the entire blank underneath the reel seat glued to the reel seat? Maybe that's a better way to put my question?
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    I've always wondered, when you build arbors (I use mesh dry wall tape) does the blank in between the mesh arbors come in contact with the reel seat? Is the entire blank underneath the reel seat glued to the reel seat? Maybe that's a better way to put my question?
    Bruce

If you make the ends LARGER how can the smaller mid-section touch anything??

Do it in reverse. Wrap masking tape ( ugh!) around both ends of a wooden dowel and then sit in on a table.

Default Am I correct?

So, underneath the reel seat the blank is only anchored with glue where it touches the arbors?

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    So, underneath the reel seat the blank is only anchored with glue where it touches the arbors?
    That pretty well sums it up...just where the arbors touch the reel seat.

Brad

Blog Entries

I make my mesh drywall arbors about 3/4" to 1" long. The graphite arbors available from Mudhole, Jann's, etc are 1" in length. It is the "norm" to use 2 arbors, but use 3 if you are more comfortable with 3, use 3.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Bass_Bug Guest

If you're using a paste type epoxy (PC-7 etc), the space between the arbors should be filled with the epoxy. this will glue the blank directly to the seat.

Roger Seiders, President of Flex Coat, talks in one of his books about using cork and masking tape bushings (arbors). I'm not going to get into the difference of materials the arbors are made of, I'm just pointing out that Seiders states: "... it is important to realize that the tape is used only as a spacer - the attachment of the reel seat must be a strong bond of epoxy glue extending from the blank to the reel seat.".

Obviously if NO arbor is needed is the ideal situation.

I suggest the use of polyurethane or graphite foam arbors. Glass tape is good - but solid arbors are stronger AND lighter.

Agree with TampaJim. Epoxy is a bonding agent, not a mechanical filler. Any glue joint, lesser is better for stongest joint. Best scenario is a slip fit of the reel seat to the blank. Next best is a full contact slip fit of an arbor to the reel seat and arbor to blank. Realize these are not always possible, but gear any solutions towards thin layer of epoxy if at all possible. Glues are designed for thin layer application for strongest mechanical connection.

+ Reply to Thread