+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blank recommendation

Default Blank recommendation

I'm looking to build a 5 wt (I need something in between my 3 wt and 7 wt). Right now, I'm going back and forth between an 8.5' and 9.5' rod. (Ahh! Do I want a smaller rod for when I fish streams with thick tree cover around them, or do I want the longer rod for high sticking, pulling streamers up out of the deep and casting over short brush? This is so hard!)

Anyway, my 7 wt is a 9' St. Croix SCII and my 3 wt is a G Loomis 7.5' IMX. I really love the IMX, so right now that's my first choice for the 5 wt, but I'm willing to look at some other blanks.

Obviously, opinions on the subject will be about as wide-ranging as they come, but I'm looking for some opinions on a blank (under $200).

Oh, I'll be using the rod for a variety of purposes. I guess the primary reason I'm building it is for the medium-to-large size trout streams in this state, but I probably won't be in MT forever, so I'll also use it for river smallies, small pond bass/sunfish and carp.

Blog Entries

Look at Dan Craft's stuff. I absolutely love his Sig V line.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Thumbs up on the Sig V - Great performing blank.
    Batson RX+ blanks --also for the larger rivers maybe one of their switch rod blanks
    Last edited by hardhat; 01-31-2010 at 12:50 AM.

third rec for dan craft. great blank at a reasonable price.

Blog Entries

Can't hardly beat a Tiger Eye, either. I really like the way they cast!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Dan Crafts are great, can't go wrong with them. If you're looking for something inexpensive, I've built a few rods with Forecast blanks and really like them (replaced my old favorite Sage 4wt with a 9' 4p). Hook and Hackle often has them on sale, right now they're about $50.00 for 9' 4pc.

Regards,
    Scott

I thought that G Loomis was getting out - is now out of --the blank business although some may still be available. Don't know where i read that so you might check before you get excited about a Loomis blank. MudHole had some left but they were going fast and may be all gone now.

I also have built on the Dan Craft Blanks. I prefer his faster blanks -- of which the Sig V for me is pretty slow. Regardless, I have had very good luck with his blanks and would strongly recommend that you consider his options and spend some time talking with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoman View Post
    I thought that G Loomis was getting out - is now out of --the blank business although some may still be available. Don't know where i read that so you might check before you get excited about a Loomis blank. MudHole had some left but they were going fast and may be all gone now.

I also have built on the Dan Craft Blanks. I prefer his faster blanks -- of which the Sig V for me is pretty slow. Regardless, I have had very good luck with his blanks and would strongly recommend that you consider his options and spend some time talking with him.
    Your right on. Loomis stopped selling blanks...

As the others have mentioned Dan Craft blanks are as good any on the market. I recently assembled a Batson RX7 8'6" 4 piece 3 wt. and a RX7 9' 4 piece 4 wt. and I must say I am very impressed with these blanks. Light weight, ferrules fit great and the blanks finish is excellent. These rods are medium fast, easy to cast and very enjoyable to fish. These blanks are about $95.00 each. IF you are looking for a real cannon the Batson RX8+ blanks are awesome. Hook and Hackle has some good deals on these blanks.

Lanny

+ Reply to Thread