+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel suggestion

Default Reel suggestion

Hello all - First post besides buying a rod/reel from another user, and I must say I love this website. A plethora of information. In any case, this has quickly become an addiction. I plan on building a heavier rod for steelhead and I'm wondering if any of you can suggest a decent reel for $100-150. I know drag is much more important than if I were building a 3wt.

I'll be fishing the tributaries of Lake Superior (near Duluth, MN) and possibly the Bois Brule in WI. I'm thinking a Hook and Hackle 8wt rod, so if any of you have suggestions on a decent matching reel, I'd appreciate it. I'm considering a number of reels right now:
    Loomis Venture 7
    Pflueger Trion or President
    Okuma Helios (I did see an earlier post on this)
    Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor

Any suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

We kinda like our Tiogas, but they may be just high of your price limits....but not very much.
    We have also used somewhat "lesser" reels than you mention quite successfully for steelhead and salmon.
    Heck, I don't know what the point of this was.....maybe too much indoors lately.

Thanks for the response. There's just too many options! I'd love to go out spend a little more, but I've been commanded to save some money for my upcoming wedding later this year. Next comes the negotiation for time on the water...

You can't go wrong with Orvis.Especially the Battenkils.I hear the mid-arbors are great.I've always had great service from them, either on their website or in the shop.

While I prefer the Tioga; Orvis is running a catalog special right now. Buy the reel, get an extra spool free. I don't think you will beat that deal and the Orvis warranty is terrific.

I did see that Orvis deal. Does anyone have preferences/pros/cons on the Battenkill Bar Stock vs the Mid Arbor? I know the basic principles (larger arbor = faster line pickup and less capacity), but I'm assuming the drags are similar, etc.

Thanks to all for their advice for a newbie.

If you don't mind looking into a used reel, you should be able to find a nice Tioga or Teton #6 or 7 for about $100 or even less on ebay.

I think the Tetons and their cousin, the Tiogas, are about the best reels for the price. And they have a great dependable drag system for the bigger fish.

rjj

Cabela's has their disk drag Drake on sale for $59.99 and a spare spool for $19.99. I haven't used one but have heard from others that it is a decent reel at the original $99. Just an idea.

I've been using a Battenkill LA IV as my steelhead reel for the last year and it's performance has been flawless. Unfortunatly this size (the IV) is no longer offered, in my opinion that was a mistake on Orvis's part but I'm not making there marketing decision for them and they didn't ask me what I thought in any case. I know it's a bit above the price range you designated but with the deal they're offering on adding a spare spool I'd splurge and go for it, you won't be sorry.

------------------
    Joe B
    SW Ohio

"I grew up in PA, I work in Ohio. My heart still belongs to PA."
    Joe Bertolini

I asked a similar question earlier and I ended up looking at the Orvis Battenkills, and the Pflueger Trion as my finalists. I found the Trion on Ebay for under $80 shipped, so that (and the mid-arbor) made my decision for me. So far, I couldn't be happier. It has the feel of a much more expensive reel, and I love the look of the mid-arbors.

+ Reply to Thread