+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tying Light

Default Tying Light

I've been looking for a portable tying light but not too keen on the 60-70 buck cost.

Today I was crusing the desk lamps at our local Lowe's and There It Was!! A rechargable Ott Task Lamp for $34.97!! I checked the Ott Lite web site and this lamp, normally $129.99, is on sale for $79.99! I checked the Lowe's web site and sure 'nough, 34.97 (+tax of course).

Nice; I love my Ott. JoAnns Fabrics has great deals on their products, too, although they don't have a re-chargeable one like this.

http://www.joann.com/joann/search/se...equestid=43703

Regards,
    Scott

Love my Ott also. Found it for 3 bucks at my local thrift store. Jack, that is a heckuva buy and thanks for sharing the tip with FAOL'ers, hopefully others will take advantage of this great deal!

Kelly.
    Last edited by kglissmeyer; 01-28-2010 at 09:22 PM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Kelly,

You need to put out a "How To" book about buying fly gear in thrift shops; first the coffee grinder/dubbing blenders and now Ott lights. Hope your recovery is going well, I see it hasn't stopped you from fishing. Looking forward to your next tying tutorial.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Kelly,

You need to put out a "How To" book about buying fly gear in thrift shops; first the coffee grinder/dubbing blenders and now Ott lights. Hope your recovery is going well, I see it hasn't stopped you from fishing. Looking forward to your next tying tutorial.

Regards,
    Scott
    Thanks, Scott. As in flyfishing, timing is everything! It helps that I manage a thrift store. Don't get me wrong, in fairness to my customers I usually am the last to see items and have the opportunity to purchase them. So, if I can find what I find in a thrift store where I get last choice, just think what the rest of you will find getting there on a regular basis!
    I am recovering quite well and I'm working on my next Fly of the Week submission and should have it polished up by the end of the week. Wish me luck!

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Just got off the phone with ohiotuber. He could not find the OttLite on the Lowe's site. It took us both awhile because we were looking in the wrong place!! Anyway the item # is 169426. They even have them in his local Lowe's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Just got off the phone with ohiotuber. He could not find the OttLite on the Lowe's site. It took us both awhile because we were looking in the wrong place!! Anyway the item # is 169426. They even have them in his local Lowe's.
    They have it also at my local store!

JACK: I got some good info on places to stay in Townsend...

I picked one up at the local fabric store (I got stares from the staff and customers there...like they'd never seen a MAN in the store before ). It looks like the Ott lights, but the brand is "Daylight". It was $50. What is the difference between this and the similar-looking Ott Task Lights? It says "...daylight simulation bulb. Provides perfect color matching and reduces eyestrain. "

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Compac...VVviewprod.htm
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Thumbs down

Just today a member of our fly tying club brought in a real "knock-off" of an Ott-lite.
    The problem was that it was not nearly as bright and the light color was
    much more "orange". (lower Kelvin Temperature) I guess it's, let the buyer beware.

I tie with the Ott Lite too. I bought the one with the magnifying class under the top cover. Nice magnifier but worthless while actaully tying. I wish my light stood just a little taller when using it with my Barracuda. I bought my wife a Daylight type light from the local hardware store around Christmas. It's taller than my Ott Lite and the color looks very close to me and it was a whopping $15.

Get a light, get a profile plate or something to use as a background, even a piece of tying foam laid on the table and you won't want to tie without either one every again.

I do think that the electronics or guts in the Ott will last longer than the knock off but you can buy a few of them to make up for the cost difference. The nicest light system that I have seen for a permanent tying station is the Giraffe system. It just doesn't travel but for your tying room I still drool over this set up: http://www.giraffelamps.com/fly.htm

Rick

+ Reply to Thread