+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Montana Stone

Default Montana Stone

Nothing spells free flowing river more than " Montana Stone". Winter's almost over, get some tied up for your box. (Fly popularized by Chas. Brooks and others).

"As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Great looking fly,can you post the recipe ?
    Remember we all live down stream

Excellent representation of Charlie's tie!

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer View Post
    Excellent representation of Charlie's tie!

Kelly.
    Yes. Isn't this a Brooks Stone? (with the rib changed). A Montana Stone is a different pattern, I think.

Whichever, gorgeous tie Hairwing!

Normand Guest

Yep, looks like a Brooks Montana Stone. The one exception without getting too ticky-tacky is that Brooks used Crow feathers for the tail, and the colors of the hackle and Ostrich are a bit different from the original. In fact, I think I like the color of the Ostrich on this fly better than the cream or white called for in the original recipe from Brooks. The "in-the-round" tie was popular with Mr. Brooks and still has a lot of merit in fly-tying applications. Still, a very nice representation and I'm sure it will catch fish.

Kelly
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

My recipe for the Brooks stone from Jack Dennis' WESTERN TROUT FLY TYING MANUAL vol II (1980):

Weight: heavy lead wire

Tail: goose biots, black

Rib: brown monofilament

Body: Black fuzzy yarn

Gills: White or gray ostrich

Legs (hackle): Grizly and grizzly dyed brown mixed.

In the accompanying instructions, though, he uses a gold wire rib.

Apparently there are several dressing for this excellent fly. I've not seen the recipe from Mr. Brooks own book, LARGER TROUT FOR WESTERN FISHERMEN , but so far I've seen at least six or seven slightly different dressings for this fly. None of the differences are profound, though.

I've caught an awful lot of trout on it, and I like to tie it in black, olive, and brown 'versions'.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Great fly; two things come to mind when I see it - fuse wire and chuck-and-duck. I always feel the need to wear a batting helmet when slinging them.

Regards,
    Scott

Glad you like the "whatchamacallit" fly.

I was in Bob Jacklin's fly shop about 1978 and a Brooks shadow box was on the wall. His Montana Stone Fly Nymph was one of the flies in the box. Chas. took it up a notch and changed the recipe around for the display. I recall the hackle tip tails, a mono rib, and a nicely tapered body. I later started tying the fly like I remembered it in the box. He was a better tier than he let on to be.

My recipe for the pictured fly:

Hook: size 2, ring eye, 3x lg.
    Tail: brown hackle tips. Length=hook gap
    Rib: black mono,.015
    Body: dark brown mohair over a tapered underbody of black crewel yarn, bring the mohair body and rib to the 75% point. Cut the mono rib, leave the mohair.
    Hackle and gills: one black schlappen 1 1/2 times hook gap and two ginger ostrich plumes. Tie these in at the 75% point. Bring the mohair forward to complete the body. Wrap the hackle and ostrich together one turn at the tie in point, move forward to complete a turn at the head.
    Whip and lacquer.
    You don't have to tie it this way there are other recipes.

The fly fishes well. I think John Scott is a fan.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Hairwing,
    Excellent looking fly. I like your variations!
    And yes...it's both an efffective and dangerous (to the fisherman ) pattern.
    Coughlin
    Calling flyfishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.
    Paul Schullery

+ Reply to Thread