+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking off waders

Default Taking off waders

Maybe it's because I am no longer 22 years old or maybe it's really because I am a few pounds (really more than a few) overweight but I have a difficult time taking off my waders after a day on the water. Am I the only one? Are there any tips that make getting out of stocking foot waders less a pita?

I need a boot puller for waders, they fit my feet tight and then after being in them for hours and they are wet they are stuck on their like super glue, well if not super glue how about shrink wrapped plastic. It's the off season here and I just took delivery of a new set of Patagonia Water Masters and I just tried them on and thought to myself their has to be a better way and my buds from FAOL know everything so let's ask ANOTHER dumb question on line and prove how silly I am.

Rick

reach down inside the leg and allow air to get in. That breaks the 'suction'. Then just reach further inside and simply pull(push) them off your foot.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I also had problems with stocking foot waders -- especially the type I have now. What I have started doing was pointing my toes down so the booy doesnt get caught on my heal -- pulling both on the toe end and the heel as needed. Once I get the boot over the heel, then it comes off pretty easy. Still not easy but better than it was.

Real easy! Take those plastic grocery bags and put them over your feet and up your ankle. You can literally slip your stocking foots right off. If I don't have too many layers of socks, sometimes the stocking foots come right off with the wading shoe. Be careful of using the white bags that have red printing on them, the red comes off and stains the inside of my waders and my socks. I stick with the blue bags from our local grocery stores. See there is a good use for those bags, even though they are "trashed" for not being "green".

The other day while fishing I took off my wading boots and the 2-block hike from the river to the truck through the snow froze my boots to my waders so no problem - now, what am I going to do in July?
    I don't have any good solutions, but I'm going to try the grocery bag method, sounds like a winner to me. The bad hip and ankle really make it hard to bend over anymore so anything helpful is of interest to me also.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Plastic grocery bags!! Who'd a thought??!!?? We used to use bread bags on the kids so they could get snow boots on and off reasonably easily ... that'd make it sooooo much easier with the waders! Thank you!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I knew that with all of the collective experience we have on this forum someone would have an idea that I didn't think of. I don't know why but I was thinking of something that you put over your socks that have a tab or something that you could grab and it would help peel them off. Now if I just invented such a thing there would be a market. Go a head and steel my idea and make it and I will buy it. Everyone knows that fly fisherman buy all kinds of goofy things. I've purchased 3 MonoMasters already - look that up if you don't know what it is. Gizmos are us should be the fly fisher's credo.

Still open to other ideas so keep them coming if you have another technique that works for you.

If you very carefully (VERY carefully) take the toe of your right foot, and stand on a fold at the heel of your left foot, and raise your left foot, the sockie foot will come off in one pull. Then, reverse the process (carefully step your toe from your left foot, on the fold at the heel of your right foot, and lift your right foot).Or if you can bribe your fishing partner, sit down, grab hold of something substantial, and have him/her pull both sockies at the same time. All done! It may cost you a beer, but well worth the investment!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I would think putting plastic bags on your feet would trap moisture. That would not be good in cold climates like where I live.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    If you very carefully (VERY carefully) take the toe of your right foot, and stand on a fold at the heel of your left foot, and raise your left foot, the sockie foot will come off in one pull. Then, reverse the process (carefully step your toe from your left foot, on the fold at the heel of your right foot, and lift your right foot).Or if you can bribe your fishing partner, sit down, grab hold of something substantial, and have him/her pull both sockies at the same time. All done! It may cost you a beer, but well worth the investment!
    Betty, you have uncovered the reason that I fish with my wife. Just kidding, there are several benefits to fishing with my wife.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread