+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HMH Standard

I got my Standard off Ebay used a couple years ago. I love mine and don't plan on ever changing to a different vise.

If your head is rocking when you push down on the cam lever perhaps you're trying to over-lock the hook into the vise. One thing I notice is if you don't put the hook into the jaws far enough or "deep" enough you might think you have to really crank down on the cam to lock the hook. You don't - you just have to get a little more of the jaw surface on the hook.

Also make sure you're using the right jaw for the right size hook.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

Thanks Steve for the suggestion. I am sure that I am placing the hook far enough in the jaws but will double check that for sure. I have gotten to the point of thinking I might sell the vise and move on.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Default yes skondolf is right...

"If your head is rocking when you push down on the cam lever perhaps you're trying to over-lock the hook into the vise. One thing I notice is if you don't put the hook into the jaws far enough or "deep" enough you might think you have to really crank down on the cam to lock the hook. You don't - you just have to get a little more of the jaw surface on the hook."

and if that fails maybe its a design flaw and its time to move on

I emailed HMH about the problem I am having and have made arrangements to send it to them. They will either fix it or send me a new one. All at no charge. What more could I ask for?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave View Post
    Have you had any problems with the head moving when pusing down on the cam lever?

I had this problem with my Spartan. I sent it back to the manufacturer and they took care of it promptly. It's a tolerance/fit issue. There's no excuse for inadequate quality control, but things do happen. I have had no other problems with it. It's the best vise I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by gadabout View Post
    I had this problem with my Spartan. I sent it back to the manufacturer and they took care of it promptly. It's a tolerance/fit issue. There's no excuse for inadequate quality control, but things do happen. I have had no other problems with it. It's the best vise I've ever had.
    That's what Roger at HMH thought might be wrong with mine as well. And I am hoping to feel the same way that you do once I get mine back.

A top notch vise, I actually like it better than my other vises. It hasn't let me down either and its great for tubes flies.

Thumbs up

Dave - I'm sure you'll come to love your HMH Standard. I've had mine for 7 years now, and have tied thousands of flies on it. It has been absolutely perfect so far. I took mine apart once to clean and lube it, and it shows zero signs of wear.

The Standard has a few really strong features that make it one of the best vises ever:

- comfortable hand placement when holding materials
    - great adjustability to any tying position
    - best midge jaws on the market
    - best access to the rear of the hook of any vise - period
    - designed to last forever, and guaranteed to do so

One little tip I have for you is to put a tiny dab of teflon based grease (SuperLube) on the cam surface that contacts the adjusting ring. Periodically wipe these surfaces clean and reapply the grease. Doing this very minor bit of maintenance will keep the cam action buttery smooth, and requiring less effort to lock the cam in place.

If you ever get another vise, it'll be because you want a new one, not need a new one.

H.A.

H A, You assessment is right on the money. BTW, I wouldn't think twice to get few more HMH's to keep up with tying production though. Even my Renzetti's give me fits with room behind the hook on smaller flies.

+ Reply to Thread