+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lense color help

Default Lense color help

I have a pair of oakley antix and i love the way they fit/feel. When i bought them i got the regular bronze color lens and now i want to use them as fishing glasses as well and i was wondering if these will cut the glare fine (never had them near water) or should i go with the polarized lenses? What lens color would be the best? Here is a link to the options http://www.oakley.com/pd/6347 if you go down the page you can see the options with different scenes, just click on lens tints. Also i would like to hear what you where.
    Last edited by garb72; 01-27-2010 at 07:52 AM.

I checked their website out and didn't find flip-ups offered. Did I miss them or do they not offer them?
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by garb72 View Post
    I have a pair of oakley antix and i love the way they fit/feel. When i bought them i got the regular bronze color lens and now i want to use them as fishing glasses as well and i was wondering if these will cut the glare fine (never had them near water) or should i go with the polarized lenses? What lens color would be the best? Here is a link to the options http://www.oakley.com/pd/6347 if you go down the page you can see the options with different scenes, just click on lens tints. Also i would like to hear what you where.

If the lenses ARE NOT polarized...then they CANT reduce glare. If you didnt know this ( ???) light is made up of TWO different waves, one of which is vertical the other horizontal. Its the horizontal ones that cause glare ( like skipping rocks). Polarized lenses have micro teenie tiny "slits" in the coatings that will allow ONLY the vertical waves to pass thru AND they should also block both A and B UV rays.

Polarized lenses are the only way to go with fishing. BUT make SURE they are really polarized lenses. Don't count on some retail person to be able to tell you they are for sure or not. Trust me on this one.

I go with grey because it does not alter the perception of colors.

When it's early or getting dark I switch to clear lenses.

Don't like altered color perception.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    Polarized lenses are the only way to go with fishing. BUT make SURE they are really polarized lenses. Don't count on some retail person to be able to tell you they are for sure or not. ...
    The way to check it to take a pair of sunglasses you KNOW are polarized ( they can cost $2-$5 a pair) and when you have the NEW glasses in your hands...put BOTH pair in front of your face. Turn 1 pair...90 degrees to the other.....the view you see thru the lenses THEN should be nearly totally BLACK.

One pair will be blocking the horizontal waves...and the other pair ( after rotating them) will be blocking the vertical waves.

Polarized in an amber/gray lense is the way to go for me. I wouldn't even consider a pair of glasses for fishing unless they were polarized.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

The most popular polarized lense color for fishing is amber. It is better than grey because it enchances contrast by blocking blue light. I personally have two pair of GLASS lense Maui Jims in Amber of bright days and Rose for low light conditions.

I prefer glass over plastic because high quality multilayer glass lenses correct for the differenctial refraction (bending of light) of different wavelengths (colors) so that every wavelength of light for a given point on an object is placed on the same point on the retina. In laymens terms, you are able to get a sharp focus rather than a slightly fuzzy image. It reduces eye fatigue.

Glass is also more resitant to scratches. There are good quality impact resistant optical quality plastic lenses available, but they seem to cost as much as optical glass lenses so I opt for real glass. There is a reason that even cheap binoculars are made from optical glass and not optical quality plastic lenses.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    The most popular polarized lense color for fishing is amber. It is better than grey because it enchances contrast by blocking blue light.
    That only helps if your vision is uncorrected to the side of the light spectrum that blue is on and I think that is being slightly nearsighted?? Been a while since I was in school for this, so forgive me.

I think blue focuses first and red last?

Anyway, it's a good gimmick......
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    That only helps if your vision is uncorrected to the side of the light spectrum that blue is on and I think that is being slightly nearsighted?? Been a while since I was in school for this, so forgive me.

I think blue focuses first and red last?

Anyway, it's a good gimmick......
    Blue is the shorter wavelength of the two...but in "white light" its undetectable to the human eye!

If anyone wants to know the MOST POPULAR color for "fresh water fishing"..call Costa Del Mar and ask for Bonnie at X-147. She told me less than an hr ago that COPPER was their #1 selling color...followed close by amber

Thanks all, I sure did not know some of this stuff mentioned. I have a pair of el cheapos that work fine, i will probably keep on using these for a long while, as the other lenses are a want and not a need.

+ Reply to Thread