+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to?

Blog Entries

Default How to?

Wisconsin in early September. Very skinny water. Near the head water. Water temperatures around 64. Bright sunny sky. Fishing from a high bank. No surface activity.

What would you use and how would you present it?

While not telling you anything that you don't already know, I would NOT be standing where the person in the photo is. Once they see you they are GOOOOONE! A couple of false casts from up there and the hole is done has been my experience. You and I have talked about this before and I find that you are one of the best when it comes to reading water. You also realize that presentation and approach are many times much more important than which fly you are using. I would either come to the hole from below the riffles of if possible be on the other side of the bank. I would not want to cross the stream above the hole in that I would blow sediment into the hole.

I think that so many of us want to buy the magic fly or use the perfect reel or fly line or pick any other piece of equipment that you want and expect that to catch us the fish. It's easier to buy something and have it do it for you than to learn to read water and work on presentation. Off soap box mode now.

I always enjoy when you post these kinds of threads as they challenge me to think what is the right way. I give credit to my largest fish last year to my approach to the hole, not the fly, not the fancy casting technique. While my fish are still small compared to yours you did teach me something.

Blog Entries

Default photo

after David tried for a while i tried also.

Dave was crouched down on his knees fishing the hole.
    He crawled to the hole. He tried all sorts of nymphs and
    even a dry.

The photo was a staged photo after fishing it.

This fish calls that hole its home.

Default Try the Mini-Muddler or something like it

Hey guys,

I've found myself in that situation a few hundred times! For the later portion of the season when fish are not always looking up I would use a long leader and a slightly weighted muddler minnow, I would say size 12 or 14. This presentation will garner nice action in this situation and will keep your fly off the stones. In particular, I like that the fly can be stripped back erratically or not at all, meaning no dead drift management is required. Just thought I would weigh in.

There are of course plenty of presentations that could solve this problem. This is just one of my favorites for this sort of water/time of year in the Wisconsin Driftless.

David Heyman, www.chicagotroutbum.com

While I like a muddler for this presentation, many other miniature streamers would do nicely. I just find the subdued colors of the original pattern combined with the touch of flash provided by the tinsel underbody is ideal to arouse interest in tough situation. I like the way deer hair heads "push water" and swim.

Blog Entries

I would want my first drift to come into the pool on the left side as the picture faces. I would want a shot at what might be living just this side of that big clump of grass and then on down the left bank.

I might use a right-handed sidearm cast with an immediate mend to (try to) prevent drag.

I think that I would use a small hopper pattern or something that could pass, like a Henry Fork Caddis. Color to match the locals.

Ed
    Last edited by EdD; 01-26-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Bumble Bee Pattern. I would cast to the sides of either bank and let it fall naturaly from the grass. I would also try the Adams Irresistible again to try to imitate a bee pattern.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Blog Entries

Default what size?

the bumble bee looks interesting

Sizes 10 to 14. I like this pattern but without the tail (though the tail helps it float upright) And I thought what would a sinking bee look like? (not really up right) maybe listing on its side. Now that has me thinking maybe tie it so it looks like its on its side.

Thanks for the thought.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/steelhead_bee.htm
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Blog Entries

What sort of hackle did you use on those wets?

Thanks,
    Ed

Bumping to the top for you!

+ Reply to Thread