+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orvis BBS

Default Orvis BBS

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock reel. I know they were $129 when they first came out. Now they have dropped to $99 everywhere and on the Orvis website you can now get a free spool when you purchase one. Does anyone know if this is their way of trying to get rid of this reel. I just thought since they have been marking it down and giving away spools that they might be about to do away with this reel and I would like to get one before they do. Thanks

------------------
    -Brandon

it's just a post season sale to try to drum up some fly fishing gear sales. as far as i know, that reel will be around a while. as far as the price drop, the price dropped on all of their reels.

bhall15,

You just want one because I have one!

I love mine!!

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

They dropped the price when they moved production from England to the Far East. If you can get a spare spool for free when you buy the reel that's a h*ll of a deal.

I just bought one from the local Orvis affiliate. He told me that the price dropped because they had moved manufacturing and were passing the savings on to the customer (well some of them anyway). I don't recall where he said it was moved from and to, but I could check if you are interested.

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

china.

so these BBS on sale with the spool are Chinese, not English?

bhall15, gardenfish:

Have the BBS II, BBS III, and a BBS IV is on its way....superb reels, well made, tight and great drag systems.

The price was lowered when they left the British factory for China. I ordered a BK LA in gold several months back and sent it right back. The fit and workmanship was excellent...the gold color, to me, didn't cut it.

I suggest you contact an Orvis dealer and ask for the "Made in England" reels while there's still time if that's what you prefer. I do.

Hey, I love take-out, but that's where I draw the line.

Regards, Jim

Don't get me wrong. I have reels made in Japan, China, Argentina and Korea as well as USA and am satisfied with them all. Over the years I have paid extra for Orvis reels ie: CFO's and B'Kills because I thought, perhaps mistakenly, they were of a little better quality. All of those reels have been very good as well. I think the decision by Orvis to move their reel manufacturing from England to China was a miscalculation that will, in time, cost them dearly.

It's all about competition and the bottom line....

I have a couple of things made offshore too, and in a couple of cases I actually prefer them. I guess the "bottom line" to that is, if it's what you want and you like it, go for it!

+ Reply to Thread