+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Synthetics

Default Synthetics

I have some material I got from a kit called Poly Yarn. I use it as wings for spinners and as a substitute wing on various dry patterns like the Wulfs. It is real easy to handle and I find it useful for practicing the different winging techniques. I have two questions about it:

1) Is this the same as antron yarn ot Z-lon?

2) Reading in the Orvis Fly-Tying guide, the author states under a section on synthetic wings, "stiffer wings made from these (synthetics) have to be perfectly matched or they will twist your leader into a Slinky." What does he mean by this? I don't think he is talking about synthetic yarns, but there is a picture of a spinner tied with what looks like poly yarn.

Bass_Bug Guest

Poly Yarn is short for Polypropylene, whereas Z-Lon (and Antron) are trademarked names for a nylon product. Just two different synthetic materials. Each has it's own characteristics and properties, the slinky reference about twisting your fly/leader, means when casting.

What you have is likely polypropylene. Antron and Z-lon are similar but have a little more sparkle. They also seem a little less bulky to me.

Some wings will cause the leader to twist up when casting. I haven't noticed this problem with poly/antron/z-lon wings. It usually happens with more solid wings that turn the fly into a propeller.

My guess is the "Poly Yarn" is polypropylene yarn, which is not quite the same as Antron, nor Zelon. Polypropylene is a bit more buoyant and water resistant than either, as well, although in a pinch they are all interchangeable...I just happen to prefer polypropylene for wing material.

I think what Tom Rosenbauer was talking about in terms of twisting wings is the fact that the stiffer the wing, the more air resistance the fly develops, and therefore the more likely you are to twist your leader when casting. He's exaggerating a bit to make a point, and you can have the same effect with natural materials as well.

Smile

As a FYI regarding Polypropylene vs Nylon (if that is what Antron and Zelon are) some interesting facts are that Polypropylene will not "absorb" water while Nylon will "absorb" more water than any other plastic. I'm talking about water actually going into the plastic fibers not just going between the fibers and causing matting. The water that causes matting will immediately be shaken off on a back cast.

Thumbs up

Poly Yarn makes dang fine posts on parachute patterns also!
    Mark 1:17

+ Reply to Thread