+ Reply to Thread

Thread: running lines

Default running lines

I've added a shooting taper to my arsenal for this upcoming year - I purchased some Amnesia for running line on a whim - and well, its not exactly as memory free as it says on the package. Once I get some line out and stretched, its manageable, but not great.
    My question for you is...can i do somethign with the Amnesia to make it work better for this application?
    Also - does anyone have any experience with running lines that they would recommend.

------------------
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW-What a Ride!"
    Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

With regard to Amnesia, the following link has some excellent tips from someone who has been flyfishing with shooting heads for a very long time.
    [url=http://members.aol.com/billsknots/runline.htm:45bb0]http://members.aol.com/billsknots/runline.htm[/url:45bb0]

Currently, my two favorite shooting lines are the Scientific Anglers Saltwater floating shooting line and the Scientific Anglers freshwater/saltwater intermediate shooting line. I have found both lines to work well in cool through tropical climates, though like most shooting lines, some stretching is required before fishing, espcially when it is cold. I have used the floating version in Canada for lake trout and pike, California for bass, stripers, bays, kelp and bluewater, and in North Queensland Australia for riverine, flats, beach, and inshore fishing. I have used the intermediate version in similar conditions but not as extensively as it is only about two years on the market I think.

I haven't personally used Rio's latest intermediate shooting line but I have talked with anglers that really like it and the same for Airflo's offering though I have seen some comments that the Airflo product does not work as well in warm to tropical conditions.

Rio Slick Shooter is ia mono type of product that is inexpensive and a bit more durable than Amnesia but it also needs to be stretched before fishing.

+ Reply to Thread