+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best purchase

Olympus 1050sw. Being able to take pics of the brookies i catch has added a lot of joy to the sport for me.

I would say it would have to be that first "used" (really kinda rump-sprung) Wright & McGill bamboo rod I bought for five bucks back in the summer of '49 - that certainly opened the fly fishing Pandora's Box for me!

Dale

1)Orvis Streamlight rods at Sierra trading Post: $29.00.

2) Starter fly tying kit at Bass Pro.

3) Native Ultimate kayak
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 01-18-2010 at 06:01 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Blog Entries

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    Well, I have bought way to much stuff this year, as I have just got started. Waders, vest, 3wt fly rod from albright, and I ordered a Peak tying vise, but it isnt here yet, and a ODC classic. I'd have to say though the best money I have spent, was when I bought some gas last February. I took a day off and drove down to Tullahoma and met Jack Hise for the first time and made my first trip fly fishing. Now when my wife fusses about all the money I've spent, I just tell her it's all Jack's fault.

hNt
    It is Jack's fault. He had led me astray many a time. Darn near drowned me in a thunderstorm too.

I used to blame my bad luck on Karma but it just turned out to be Jack.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Best purchase would be the gas I bought to travel to Lowell for the Idaho Fish-in. Always the highlight of my year.

Way back when I was young, About the time that the earth was cooling down and the lakes and rivers began to form upon the land, my best purchase was a dozen Doc Spratley flies that started my flyfishing hobby. Prior to that I did not really believe that flies would catch fish at all. Worms were the thing back then but the Spratleys sure put paid to that notion.

This is a link to the story In Readers Casts about the Spratleys. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...cast/rc489.php
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 01-18-2010 at 05:20 PM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I tell people all the time that my kayak was my best fishing related purchase
    It was a whole new level of fun.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

My kayak definitely is my best purchase. It has opened up waters all over the state.
    Steve

I'm torn between my kayak for the same reasons stated above and the first decent fly rod I purchased which was a like new Sage RPL for $10 at a lost luggage sale. I love the rod, but the Hobie Outback Kayak has really let me enjoy fishing to the fullest in places I couldn't get to before. Either way. I consider myself to be very fortunate to have all my "toys" to play with

Jim Smith

The two prescriptions I take every day to keep crohn's disease in check. Without the drugs I wouldn't get out With them I am able to get out and enjoy myself fishing.

Purchases? How about investments? My three best fly-fishing investments were:
    1. Bought a St. Croix rod, Pflueger Medalist reel and new fly line. I consider this a major factor in turning me on to fly-fishing. I'd owned a cheaper "combo" previously, and it wasn't nearly as fun to fish with.

2. I made a conscious decision to invest TIME into fly-fishing. I'm so glad I did. The rewards ("joy") have been exponential.

3. I decided to reverse my earlier decision to NOT tie flies. Tying flies has certainly added to my overall experience, joy, and understanding of fly-fishing.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread