+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dream job...

Default Dream job...

Anyone out there know of any jobs in the fly fishing industry?

I would be willing to move anywhere.

We can all dream, right??
    The sport is so royal that there is neither gentle nor villein, if it knew of it and loved it well, who would not be more honoured for that reason by all who understand it.

Blog Entries

The problem with Jobs in the Fishing industry is that the fishing industries hot time is when the fishing is good. Which then means that you spend your life watching others fish, talking to others about fishing and generally not fishing. Talk to your local fly shop owner about when the last time he took a vacation in the months from may to September, it isn't likely that he ever has had one while he had his shop. The same is true for fish and game cops, guides and others I have talked to in the business.

Not to put a damper on your dream, I always thought working at a ski area or some other such job would be good. Work when water is icy then take the summer months to fish.

I know some real dedicated fly persons who teach school. Working at a college isn't a bad deal, the summer is their slow time.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 01-17-2010 at 04:43 PM.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I have contacted a few companies but no bites.

I don't really have the resume to help out much either except a passion for fly fishing and all things about it.

I will keep up the good fight and one day something will happen...
    The sport is so royal that there is neither gentle nor villein, if it knew of it and loved it well, who would not be more honoured for that reason by all who understand it.

Blog Entries

I wish you luck. But short of location scout for the fishing shows, or possibly product tester for a large collection of companies, anything else would just be...work.

Anything you have to get up in the morning and do is work, and frankly, turning something I love into that is the last thing I would want to do.

And "trout bum" pay really sucks. Trust me on this. Win the lottery and go fish the rest of my life, that is my plan. Now all I have to do is buy a lottery ticket...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vmabuck View Post
    Anyone out there know of any jobs in the fly fishing industry?

I would be willing to move anywhere.

We can all dream, right??
    I know that Orvis was looking for a manager of one of their stores in Destin, Fla. Don't know if it's still open or not, but might be worth your time to look.
    Steve

I already have the dream job, kinda. I clean windows. It sounds like a drag, I know but.... I set my own hours, I work when I want and I make good money. I fish everyday when the water is soft, I'm on the road, locally by myself all the time, I have time to stop and check fishing spots, stop in at shops and its all on the company dime (well, mileage is). I don't want to work in the fishing industry, then it will be work. I don't want that

If you dont have one already...get a degree first. Without one..plan on operating heavy equipment!

For me it would be to run a guide service that does multiple guiding.
    -dirt bike trail riding
    -fly fishing
    -back-country skiing

I am proficient at all of them but the years are just now starting to take a minor toll.

Combining dirt biking with fly fishing in the same day is a ton of fun.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I love my job, but like Eric said, I'm at my busiest when the fishing is at it's best and often have to settle for off-season fishing (luckily I have the local bluegill ponds to keep the twitches at bay most of the time). Also, do you really want a 40 hour a week reminder of what you'd rather be doing? Just a couple things to think about. But having said that, it was once said: "find a job you truly love and you'll never "work" a day in your life." If it's what your heart tells you to do, then chase the dream!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Blog Entries

VMA, if you are serious then I think you need to refine your goal, any job in the fly fishing industry includes the guy who sits at the salt water dock and fillets fish for the tourists off the boats. (I am guessing that's not what you want ) Define what job you truly want, then find someone who has the job or call the company you want to work for and find out what they look for in that person, then go get that job. It might involve moving to where the company of your dreams is to get an entry level job and then moving up.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread