+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assembling multi-piece rods...

Flyfish4troutguy Guest

4 peice rod i alway put the first two with reel on then the two top peices and connect in the middle of rod.

Less chance of breaking a rod.

Blog Entries

i'm not tall and my arms aren't long, so i build the rod from the top down, section by section. this way i'm not holding the heavier bottom half by the weaker top end, and nothing touches the ground. i put on the reel last, straighten the bottom section if it needs it, and string up with the reel on a clean surface.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

I'm probably a Mr. Magoo ... didn't know there was a wrong way to assemble my rod and have been lucky I guess ... I always; put the reel on the butt end first (give some weight to the process) and then work my way up to the top. I never worry too much about if the butt is in the grass, mud or otherwise, try to keep it someplace clean though and not get it too mucked up.

I always try to keep my line out of the muck to keep it clean and at least not scuffed up, their too darn expensive to be casual with.

I fish with 4 pc rods. I'll try the 2X2 method putting them together for a change. Like the other poster sort of said, why didn't I think of that?

But what the heck ... I'm 70 I probably forgot.

Your right! just lay your hat down on the ground and place the butt within your hat, works great even if your standing in a parking lot putting together your rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    some people also place the rod butt on their hat or a nice clump of grass when they have to.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

I'll have to try this 2+2 method on my 4-pc rods. Maybe line the final two halves before assembly.

Default Putttin my rod together

Many of my rods are multi piece rods. (I travel a lot) and all I own have been built by myself. All have alignment indicators so it is a no brainer assembling a rod. (bamboo & Graphite)
    I am new at the fly fishing game (65 years now) and still learning. When I started I was taught to start with the tip section first. Add to it as I work to the butt section. I then attach the reel. Throw my hat on the ground and then string my line. I am always very careful when pulling the leader and tippet out of the tip top guide. (the line can whip around the rod) and I have never broken a rod, yet.
    Assembly is also the last thing I do when I am going fishing. Get dressed, pontoon if I am using one is at the waters edge, all ready to go. Then I do my rod and never need to lay it down where someone could step on it or have it knocked over.
    The reverse is how I take things apart when done fishing. Rod first and placed in it's tube. I know it is then safe.

This method has worked quite well for me for a long time. I can not even think of any other way to assemble my rod. What ever works for you.

I really am quite surprised at the many different ways listed here.

Denny

Hi,

I usually put it together tip first and work down to the but section. This means you're always passing the completed sections "up" rather than down to the ground. I put the reel on after assembly, usually, I think, then string the rod. I have a short strip of cloth, that has a small magnet at each end. This is used to hold the rod upright against the vehicle, rather than laying it down, and ensures it won't fall over. Works great for keeping it from falling down into an open car door, trunk, or just on the ground, all of which are disasters waiting to happen.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Default Some Assembly Required

To assemble a fly rod, lay out the sections of the fly rod on a table or in a open area where nobody will knocked them off or step on them.

Two methods of assembly depending of ferrules.

Metal Ferrules: Insert the the male ferrule into the female ferrule align the guides on both sections of the fly rod. Then (and only then) with one hand on each section (just above the ferrule) push the two ferrules together.

Disassemble is the same, but this time place the fly rod close to your body, and holding the rear section stationary against your body, pull the front section straight out in front of you.

Non-Metal Ferrules: Insert the male ferrule into the female ferrule, this time the guide are 90 degree off alignment, as you push the two ferrules together, you twist one of the section until the guides are in alignment

Disassemble is the same as for the Metal Ferrules, with one difference, as your are separating the two section, you twist one section 90 degrees to unlock the connection.

~Parnelli

If you string your rod while it's still in 2 pieces, you don't have to lay it down. Hold the 2 pieces parallel, loop the line and go up from the reel on the first section, then the second with a couple of feet of overhang out the tiptop. After you've put the 2 sections together a quick cast will throw the line/leader out the rod(unless your connections are bulky)

+ Reply to Thread