+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's VISE

lets all put this in the boot, grab some casts and go angling!!
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I don't mind if they spell a little different somewhere else, as long as they are consistent with THEIR spelling. I'm glad I don't have to learn a new language. If they want to borrow some grey-coloured dubbing, I will give them some gray-colored dubbing!

We can't even seem to settle on ONE NAME for some of our common fish. Bream/Brim/Bluegill....White Bass/Sand Bass/Stripers...Crappie/Speckled Perch/Stumpknocker...Spoonbill/Paddlefish.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Speaking (writing?) as someone who's language centers don't always work properly (long story, medical problem), I don't care about grammar or spelling so long as I can understand the person. The purpose of language is clear communication. In a conversation about vises, I don't have any problem reading the word "vice".

I've probably written it myself in that context. Didn't care then and don't care now.

Remember the quote about Izaak Walton form A River Runs Through It? "The bastard doesn't even know how to spell complete "

Hi,

I believe that aluminum (the Canadian/American version) was the original name for the element. However, it was noted that this did not fit the convention for naming elements (plutonium, uranium, etc; which is based on Greek or Latin, I'm not sure which) and so it was changed to aluminium. But Canadians and Americans maintained the original while most (all?) other English speaking countries changed. I know in NZ it's aluminium, and I think Australia uses aluminium as well.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

+ Reply to Thread