+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got to go fishning

Blog Entries

Default Finally got to go fishning

After more than 2 weeks of record cold in Florida, I got to fish on Thursday. I figured freshwater fish could handled the cold better than the saltwater fish. We've had a lot of fish kills in salt water, including snook, ladyfish, mojarra, jack crevalle, pompano and mullet.

So, Thursday I headed for Lake Manatee and launched the kayak at about 9:30 a.m. The weather was good. Wind about 8 out of the east.

Caught a small bluegill early on. Then, it was tough. Had one other bite and got a hand-sized bluegill.

Totals for the day: one decent bluegill and one smaller bluegill.

With the water temperature in the high 40s/low 50s, all we need is about four or five days of warm weather and the fishing will heat up.

Last edited by SteveGibson; 01-15-2010 at 08:12 PM.
    Steve

There are those of us that are jealous of your OPEN WATER, Steve! And that coppernose 'gill is pretty cool too! And you're teaching me something...I'm gonna have to look up Mojarra, cuz I don't know what that looks like.

Not to hijack your thread, but I'm excited because I finally got to go fishing too...yesterday. Hadn't been fishing since Nov. 24!
    It wasn't fly-fishing, unfortunately, but still fun. I fished for stocker trout through the ice. Caught 45 rainbows in 3.25 hours.

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

please add peacocks and oscars as well as ALL bait and bonefish to that list for these parts...went out yesterday and it wasnt pretty...greeted 1st thing in the morning with dead 11lb bone at the launch...dead bait every 4 to 5ft on the bottom...water so cold I didnt want to get my feet wet...every single boat without exception came back fast with grim news of NO FISH ALIVE out on the finger channels....I was able to blind cast for 5 hrs without a single thing touching it...not a single ray, cuda or shark sighted

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bonefishwhisperer View Post
    please add peacocks and oscars as well as ALL bait and bonefish to that list for these parts...went out yesterday and it wasnt pretty...greeted 1st thing in the morning with dead 11lb bone at the launch...dead bait every 4 to 5ft on the bottom...water so cold I didnt want to get my feet wet...every single boat without exception came back fast with grim news of NO FISH ALIVE out on the finger channels....I was able to blind cast for 5 hrs without a single thing touching it...not a single ray, cuda or shark sighted
    I talked with peaock bass guide Alan Zaremba of Hollywood yesterday. Said oscar and Mayan cichlids really took a hit, along with some peacock bass.

While fishing on the bay on Friday, I did manage three spotted seatrout and a sheepshead. Saw a lot of dead ladyfish, mullet, mojarra and rays.
    Steve

Dang! That is some bad news. You'd think if the water was getting too cold, those saltwater fish would just find deeper water. I guess that isn't the case.
    The freshwater fish are just trapped.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I think its because some actually go inland such as snook...some get stranded by low tides and cant escape until its too late...I suspect many went to regular haunts that until now had provided safety only to freeze because they never really had to do this before...I just got back in from the canal where YOU fished Dave...lots of dead ducks, catfish and peacocks while running the dogs...all the iguanas seemed to have survived contrary to the local beliefs...they were eveywhere

Dead ducks? Really?

There are a lot of Plecostomus in those canals...They could probably stand to be thinned out. Any evidence on how they fared?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

OK...what the heck is that? I am guessing you mean the air breathing catfish? if so I seen dozens of them dead up on the banks..they probably came out of the water to escape the cold and froze anyway BUT I did see some really huge ones in Homestead...easy 10lber's in super deep clear water

How do the landlocked tarpon fare. I know a pond with some babies that would be soo much fun on my flyrod.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    How do the landlocked tarpon fare. I know a pond with some babies that would be soo much fun on my flyrod.
    Haven't heard any reports of dead tarpon, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few didn't make it. Give my the location of the pond and I'll go check them out for you!
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread