+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Des Moines area..

Blog Entries

Default Des Moines area..

Hey Iowegians. Going to be in Des Moines this weekend. Didn't there used to be an actual "Fly Shop" there? Can't find anything on it. Anywhere else worth hitting besides Bass Pro? I hear they have a pretty decent section.

thanks.... g
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Sportsman's Warehouse in Ankeny has a decent selection of flies and fly-tying materials. Its probably a 10-minute drive from Bass Pro Shops in Altoona.

Also, 2nd Avenue Bait House & Fly Shop might be worth a visit.
    http://iowaflyfishing.com/

A fourth potential spot to try is Scheel's sporting goods at the Jordan Creek Mall in West Des Moines. The have a fair selection of flies, their materials selection is probably a little less than the other locations already mentioned.
    Last edited by FishnDave; 01-15-2010 at 07:30 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

One of the part-timers at Scheels said they moved out their boxes of flies and desk for room for the ice fishin' stuff. It will be back later but right now things are pretty slim.

The other places have good selections of 'stuff' although no one has it all, making you hit all three. Not a bad thought tho...
    iaflyfisher

You might be thinking of 2nd Ave Bait run by Gene and Kathy Hughes. Although they still sell fly tying supplies and some accessories, they are not as active as they once were. They also carry some rods, reels and line. Chances are if you go there neither Gene or Kathy will be there and the old s.o.b. that runs the counter can't spell fly fishing let alone knows anything about it.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Blog Entries

lol.. Thanks anglerdave - you can come and wipe the spit off my monitor now. I think that is the one I was thinking of.

Appreciate it guys. I buy a decent entry level combo every year to auction off as part of an "Introduction To Warmwater Fly Fishing" package for a local benefit. Have bought the 3 Forks combo the past couple years but thought I'd see what else was available. And - I'm thinking I need a new reel (and maybe an extra spool) for my 6 weight bass rod.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

+ Reply to Thread