+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: razor blades

Default razor blades

Here's goes a rant.

I have been using this fancy razor that was given to me in the mail. Should have been my first clue. The latest hottest with pivoting this and that and a strip of moisturizer for my oh so sensitive face. My wife bought me refills for it once and I didn't even think to ask what they cost. I ran out and went out to Sam's club (usually very good prices on things) to replentish my stock.

For 16 blades it was $54.88: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=443131 .

Next to those was a disposible package of razors, the whole damn thing not just the blades. It was a package of 40 complete razors. They had the moisturizing strippy thingy, they pivoted, they had 3 blades instead of 42 (I mean 5). For 40 whole razors it cost a whopping $16.84 http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=367335

So I am not upset with Sam's, I do a lot of business there, but the razor blade companies must think we are all stupid.

Now spending $500 or $600 on a stick to go fishing makes perfectly good sense to me, but spending over $50 on 16 razor blades just drove me absolutely crazy.

Must be getting cabin fever and NEED to get on the water soon.

Rick

Thanks for letting me rant.

Try the Bic disposable razors!..lol That'll make ya go back to using a pocket knife for sure....

Wow! i didn't know those things cost that much :0
    THANKFULLY I only shave about 2 times a month and use those little cheapo 3 blade plastic razors which is like.. 10 for 3 dollars My dad grows a full beard in a day and i bought him a rechargeable razor i got him for fathers day last year

just a crazy thought..
    Grow your beard & tie some flies with em

Cold Guest

Get an electric one, man. Use the money you saved on those refills to buy a new fly rod.

Blog Entries

I use those same blades. You have to watch Sam's Club. I get mine at King Soopers (a Kroger store) and for at least $15 less per package, maybe $20. One blade lasts a couple of weeks so your package of 16 would last somewhere around 9 months for me.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Shhhhhhhh don't tell anyone.

I use the razor my wife has in the shower.

Actually I replaced the blade on it with the last on in the little holder it has about 4 months ago and it STILL cuts just fine.

My wife's legs are bleeding some. Do you think there is a coincidence.........
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Clark Howard, a local consumer advocate I hear on the radio occassionally, ran a little experiment of rinsing and drying the razor after use. I seems the life of the blade was extended considerably. I know I shave in the shower and rinse the gook out of my Atra and the blades last a good while. I also buy Wilkinson I think it is. They work just as well as Gillette.

I have my Dad and my Mom's Dad's straight razors, but I am not ready to go there yet. My Granddad's says it's tungsten.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Try the Bic disposable razors!..lol That'll make ya go back to using a pocket knife for sure....
    Sully, they are pretty nice, I like them.

Rick -

I'm with you on this. I didn't realize how much those things cost either until I saw them at Costco the day before yesterday. WOW!

In case you are interested in a "bargain" on those Fusion blades, I just looked on Ebay where they sell 100's of them, and the going price appears to be "only" about $2.00 per, depending on the qty, and that would include shippng. But, you just might end up with some knockoff's blades coming from China!

Of course, you could make your own Fusion's by taking 2 of those 3-bladed BIC's, and tying them together, one on top of the other. That would still be cheaper than those sold on Ebay.

John

Default Mach 3

I use a Mach 3 and get about 3 months out of a blade.
    NO, I am not telling a lie.
    YES, I have hair on my face that needs shaving.

Here's the trick I learned many years ago from a barber friend.
    The reason they used to put hot towels on a face before shaving was that it softens the hair and moisturizes the sking making shaving easier. He told me that the shaving cream they used was mostly cosmetic because men wanted to see some removed in the shaving process. He explained that if I shaved IMMEDIATLY after leaving the shower I could accomplish the same thing.

Forty years later I have transitioned from a straight razor (used one for decades) to single blade eventually to the Mach 3. If I shave immediately upon leaving the shower I can do it without any shave cream.

I know you think I'm telling a lie or am bald faced, but try it.

P.S. Shaving cream coats and dulls the blade. If you've ever stropped a straight razor you know how much extra work it takes if the razor has been used with creams.

+ Reply to Thread