+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killer Nymph, by Parnelli

Default Killer Nymph, by Parnelli

Side View

Top View

KILLER NYMPH

Material List:

Hook: Wet, Standard, 1XL or 2XL, size 10.
    Thread: Orange, 6/0.
    Tail: White Ostrich Herl, Tips.
    Body: White Ostrich Herl.
    Head: Orange Ostrich Herl.

Step 1. Dress hook shank with white thread.
    Step 2. Secure White Ostrich Herl Tip, for Tail Section.
    Step 3. Secure White Ostrich Herl for Body.
    Step 4. Wrap Hook with White Ostrich Herl.
    Step 5. Secure White Ostrich Herl with couple of Thread Wraps
    Step 6. Attach and Orange Ostrich Herl.
    Step 7. Wrap forward section of Hook Shank
    Step 8 Secure with couple of Thread Wraps, and Whip Finish.

I never dressed the Killer Nymph, using other colors of Ostrich Herl, never had a need to do so!
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 01-14-2010 at 12:21 AM.

Looks killer to me. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries

I agree. That's a fine-looking fly. I need to tye some up and soon.

Ed

Outstanding looking fly.

Simple, elegant.

That one is definite keeper.

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to catch a lot of fish on that concept.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I really appreciate you sharing that fly pattern! I just had to tie some up and give them a try here in Tennessee. Since I had every color of ostrich except orange, I tied up some with tan ostrich tail and rear body of the fly and a black ostrich up front. I also weighted the pattern with 5 wraps of non-lead wire in .025 plus I wrapped the ostrich around my bobbin thread before palmering it up the body. I, also, wrapped an underbody with punch yarn just to give the fly more body. I fished this combination yesterday and today and had very good success with it. My river here was running a water temperature of 39 to 41 degrees and there was ice along the edges. I fished this pattern very slow and deep. Most of the "takes" were very light, but, there were "takes". I caught 8 rainbows yesterday and 10 today. I like this fly! Very easy to tie and the color combinations are unlimited.

Thank you for sharing this pattern and I would appreciate any more that you have or come up with. The Tennessee trout like them and so do I!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Kind of reminds me of a badminton birdie.

I have some Ostrich Herl and think I will try my hand at tying that fly. I think it would be a great trout fly. Thank Parnelli for sharing.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

If you are like me and do not have any orange ostrich herl, you can tie these up in other colors. Check out my post "Parnelli's Nymph". You can catch trout with this fly!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

My only question is, I tie a Damsel Nymph out of Ostrich along with the four feather nymph, but is I use it all day, the color fades quite badly. What were once beautiful Olive Ostrich flies are now an off white or pale light green.

Anyone else experience this?

Default So What Exactly is the Complaint?

Fly Goddess:

"My only question is, I tie a Damsel Nymph out of Ostrich along with the four feather nymph, but is I use it all day, the color fades quite badly. What were once beautiful Olive Ostrich flies are now an off white or pale light green." ~Fly Goddess

You fly fished all day, and catching all those fish, and you are worrried about the color fading on the nymph? Let it dry out, and then use a Sharpie Pen and color the faded coloration for the next time on the stream.

You could also make sure that the ostrich herl color has been fixed by soaking the ostrich herl in a mixture of vinagar and water. Then it should not fade.

Some herls (especially those sold at "Micheal's and "JoAnn Fabric" have water soluable dyes, that wll leech out if the herl gets wet.

As for people catching a lot of fish with this simple nymph pattern, I apoligize. I am willing to take all the blame, although it is not my pattern. For many years, I have hesitated from sharing this fly pattern, for obvious reasons!

~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 01-18-2010 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven McGarthwaite View Post
    Fly Goddess:

"My only question is, I tie a Damsel Nymph out of Ostrich along with the four feather nymph, but is I use it all day, the color fades quite badly. What were once beautiful Olive Ostrich flies are now an off white or pale light green." ~Fly Goddess

You fly fished all day, and catching all those fish, and you are worrried about the color fading on the nymph? Let it dry out, and then use a Sharpie Pen and color the faded coloration for the next time on the stream.

You could also make sure that the ostrich herl color has been fixed by soaking the ostrich herl in a mixture of vinagar and water. Then it should not fade.

Some herls (especially those sold at "Micheal's and "JoAnn Fabric" have water soluable dyes, that wll leech out if the herl gets wet.

As for people catching a lot of fish with this simple nymph pattern, I apoligize. I am willing to take all the blame, although it is not my pattern. For many years, I have hesitated from sharing this fly pattern, for obvious reasons!

~Parnelli

Wow, vinagar and water....right on. That makes sense. Sadly the Ostrich is purchased from Hareline....never thought of Michaels.

I do have the Pantones as well.

I solved my problem by using Marabou on my particular fly. Same wrapping as the ostrich, a little less fluffy, but no fading.
    I will try the salad dressing however.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread