+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a challenge

Default a challenge

In looking at KBPROCTOR?s response to lady fisher's article on doing the right thing I decided that sending some flies for the scouts was not a real good response. This still leaves them dependent on donations every year. The right answer is to design an effective dry fly that the scouts can tie themselves with minimal training and inexpensive materials. They should be able to tie this fly and take it out to catch a fish the right away just as they do with Kevin's nymph pattern. I have a couple of ideas on how to do it but you are all invited try turn your hands at this project. I'll post my result(s) for comments on improving the pattern or making it easier for beginners when I have tied one.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

The first try: moose mane tails that I would change to paint brush fibers for scouts and punch embroidery yarn body with deer hair comparadun wing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    The first try: moose mane tails that I would change to paint brush fibers for scouts and punch embroidery yarn body with deer hair comparadun wing.

That wing can be done with lots of different hair. Calf tail, squirrel tail, deer.

I would think that with an olive or gray body those should work fine up there. 'Specially when the evening hatch is coming off.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

idea #2; an x-caddis with a body of punch embroidery yarn.

Kevin, the question is could you teach these flys to the kids easily? Materials should be dirt cheap except for the hook.

Cold Guest

Foam terrestrials were the first thing that came to my mind. Ants, beetles, and hoppers.

You can get enough of the main material to tie hundreds of flies for about $2 at the craft store. These are also patterns that can be "spiced up" as the scouts like: herl beetle bodies, black hackle on ants, hair wings & rubber legs on the hoppers, etc.

They'll also float great without any floatant, be highly visible, easy to tie, and, the most important part: highly effective.

A simple caddis with a punch yarn body and poly yarn wing. Easy and effective

I taught my scouts how to tie wooly buggers and had each of them tie em up, mine are all 8-9 years old and had a blast.

D

Thumbs up

You didn't mention that your Scouts were Cub Scouts at 8 - 9 years old. With Scouts working for Merit Badges you are talking about Scouts 11 - 17 years old. There is a cobsiderable difference in their skill levels.
    Your Wooly Bugger was a good choice for either group however. My thought would be a deer hair caddis with a yarn body and a poly foam hopper with fine rubber band legs and a hair wing. Or even a little streamer made with pet dog hair. I've made some nice ones when we had our collie. Good luck.
    Last edited by Ray Kunz; 01-13-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Adding details

Gurgle Pops, any wide gap hook, foam from the craft section of any big mart, a couple rubber legs and a tail of kip tail, squirl tail, or marabou...

Easy to tie and will catch most any warm water species and I would imagine trout when they are hitting hoppers.

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying...121503fotw.php

Easy as can be and to top it off, fish slam these on the surface and will add to the excitment.

Default Scouts

You dont send flies to the scouts---they are required to tie two flies. Go to your local scout office and volunteer to become a merit badge councilor then teach and test the Fly Fishing merit badge. The merit badge book shows the easy flies they should tie such as a Wolly Worm, Micky Finn,Light Cahill. After over one hundred fifty scouts I have found that a wolly bugger and micky finn are the easy ones to tie. One wet one streamer. One scout at summer camp asked if he could use some of my marabou--he used every color on one hook and on the third cast caught a 3 pound bass. Meet with a Scout Master or Cub Scout leader and volunteer to show how to tie at a meeting. BILL

+ Reply to Thread