+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott G 904-2

Default Scott G 904-2

I am awaiting arrival of a 9' 4wt Scott G 2pc. rod that I purchased off e-bay. I have a pretty good idea of how this rod should cast and fish based on having owned 3 other G's: 883-3, 885-3, and a 804-3. I have gotten to where I can't seem to get past the belief that a 2 pc. rod is hard to beat for smooth transition. I no longer own any 3 or 4 piece rods. I have always enjoyed medium to med-fast graphite rod actions like Sage RPL's, LL's, Scott G's and even a few of the Winston IM6/WT models (although I find most Winston trout rods to have too mushy a tip for fishing/casting much past 40'). Just wondering if anyone still has and fishes the 9' 4wt G? I appreciate all opinions, the good and bad.

Thanks,

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

I am also interested in opinions on this rod as I am considering the G2 4wt for drys, nymphs, and small streamers.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDun View Post
    I am also interested in opinions on this rod as I am considering the G2 4wt for drys, nymphs, and small streamers.

Blue,
    Can't comment on the G series. I do have 2 of the G2 series (a 9' 5wt and an 8'4" 3wt). These are my go to rods and among my favorites. The only rod that I have that I like as well is a Winston BIIt.

I think you will be well pleased with the Scott rod. Love mine.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

I had that "G" rod years ago. At the time, Mr. Kreh called it the ideal dry fly rod. I found it to be a little too slowish. Now, I don't like fast rods, and I loved my G-804. As YMMV, you will likely love it!

Chuck

I have the G2 in an eight four inch three weight and it is a slow little dry fly rod that keeps my tempo in check.

Thumbs up

Finnally received this rod and got to get some yard casting in and alittle fishing too.

All I can say is I am blown away by how well this rod casts and fishes. It rolls beautifully both forward and back hand (roll casting). It bow and arrow casts with perfect accuracy. It will cast just the 9' leader or cast 70' of line. With a SA mastery trout line, it is dead accurate out to 50' with minimal effort (hauls). It is progressive into the tip section but then gets sorta semi-parabolic when casting off the tip as the last 6" of the tip are rather stiff. This allows throwing weighted nymphs with ease at reasonable distances. it also helps open the loop for chunking smaller weighted buggers (had no problem throwing 50' with a sz 10 tung bead head bugger)! And mend....ahhh, with exceptional ease and control.

The only fish I caught on my trial run were stocked bows from 8-10" but what a nice bend even they put in the rod...big smiles! I can't wait till the spring hatches of mayflies begin so I can get out and fish soft hacke teams during the emergence! I feel like this rod will be a joy to fish the small mountain streams with the exception of the extremely Rhododendron choked brookie trickles. It is soft enough to enjoy the smaller fish and is capable of making all of the tricky types of casts plus has the nice extra reach of a 9ft'r for dapping the plunge pools. i am totally tickled with this rod indeed!!!

Glad to find out that a Scott ''G'' has found an owner that appreciates the beauty that resides there within...enjoy it!

I called Scott rods yesterday and talked to Jim. Gave him the serial number and he said that the rod was built in the late eighties to early 90's. He also told me that the number "59" which proceeded the serial number was the Flex rating: something Scott used to print on their rods so the could match tips according to butt sections to maintain the rod integrity should repair work be needed. He told me that they still can repair the old PowRply rods if you break one.

Did I mention how sweet the cork is on this rod? Stick a thumbnail in it and watch the indent disapear in 5 seconds! Not to many cork handles spring back like that anymore. I believe the cork in the handle is a bigger part of the sweetness in casting such a rod. Hard cork leads to muscle fatigue at the end of the day. You gotta be able to feel the love right down into the handle!

aa

Oh ya, and just for fun, I even strung a peach 5wt line on it and it didn't even flinch! Threw tight loops with the 4 and 5 wt lines. I am always amazed at how the older, deeper flexing rods will carry heavier line. I have an 8'6" 5wt, older grahite orvis rod that is quite parabolic in action. It will carry up to a #7. If it works, don't fix it. I'm getting to where I can't believe all the hype about today's "lighter, faster, more responsive, better tracking, yada yada yada" rods. I'd rather give $300-400 for a used, older 'premium' rod than $700 for the newer "better" sticks. The extra bonus in that is the cork quality will be far superior to what is available today.

aa

Hoping that this rod will allow to fish with 6x and 7x tippets with confidence when conditions dictate and it is something you feel like doing.

+ Reply to Thread