+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing vests!

Default Fishing vests!

My present vest doesnt seem to have enough "pockets" for my projected usage this year. It works fine for my local stream stuff...because I never carry more than about 1 doz flys here and a swiss army knife..so it works fine....BUT..

My planned trips this year will dictate I drag more stuff. Not a heavy load per se...but enough stuff that I need to keep seperated. And if you dont have a "pocket"...you cant put something in that "pocket"... So I went online looking and found this...

Inside and out it has 30 pockets. My present vest ( also an Orvis) has NONE "inside" and not nearly as many outside even.

Anyone have one of these and it so..what do you think of it?
    (Its their "Original Super Tac-L-Pak Vest ")

Lightbulb

Question... are the pockets big enough for your favourite fly boxes. I always bring a few boxes when I'm shopping for a vest ... 'cause it's awfully frustrating to fight with the opening to pry a box out while the evening hatch starts!

I have less pockets, so (thankfully) I drag less stuff around (I'm getting old).

What MORE stuff do you plan on carrying this season on your trips?
    Friend use a belt pack or small chest pack and a backpack for the rest. It all depends if you can dump a bag on the beach while you wade.

Of course, I'm a bad example ... my vest is light, but there'll be sometimes over 100 lbs of gear on the pontoon boat deck

If you look to carry LOTS of heavy stuff, maybe look to a less traditional model which can help spread the weight from front to back, instead of everything in front pockets (like the Fishponds etc).
    Christopher Chin

Quote Originally Posted by fcch View Post
    Question... are the pockets big enough for your favourite fly boxes. I always bring a few boxes when I'm shopping for a vest ... 'cause it's awfully frustrating to fight with the opening to pry a box out while the evening hatch starts!

I have less pockets, so (thankfully) I drag less stuff around (I'm getting old).

What MORE stuff do you plan on carrying this season on your trips?
    Friend use a belt pack or small chest pack and a backpack for the rest. It all depends if you can dump a bag on the beach while you wade.
    No..wont be heavy stuff at all..and yes..My fly boxes are about 4 x 6..so they will fit into just about any decent vest
    Between the water bottle and a special camera I bought myself for Xmas..I carry medications...candy...etc. I dont want my "candy" covered with fly line dressing if a mishap should occur.....etc

I just need many more "pockets" is all

( No backpacks or chest vests)

Thumbs up

Sounds good.
    Often "more" pockets doesn't mean we (must) carry more stuff. It just gets better organized.

I changed my vest for 2009, 'cause I wanted an inflatable. It took me most of the season to get really comfortable and just know where all the different things were stashed (I had had my old vest for a very long time).

Have a fine 2010 season,
    Play Hard, have fun and come home Safe!
    Christopher Chin

That Orvis vest is one of my favorites, and is a classic design. It's nearly identical to the Columbia Henry's Fork that I have which is going on 13yrs now. It's like a 2nd skin, even though i've been flirting with a chest pack for a season on and off

I have a little older version of that Orvis vest and it's been great. Pocket's sorted very well inside and out. For me the only draw back is that it's definitely a cool or cold weather vest. Once I worn it on a day when the temp's got up to about 80 and it was hot. I just switch to a shorty vest or chest pack in the warmer temp's.

Is it heavy when empty? Breathable? I changed vest because my old LL Bean was heavy and, in warm weather, hot. Luckily Bean took it back - seven years later - and sent me a much lighter and breathable vest which I like a lot more.

Randy

I have a patagonia, with vertical pockets - I can't believe all the vest mfgs. don't put vertical pockets in their vests - never(knock on wood) have lost a fly box out of them. Two on each side for a large and small box, then inside pockets with vertical openings so you can stick your hand back in there.

Cold Guest

fcch,

I bet that "cat optional attachment" is great for when you need a few materials to match a hatch while you're on the water.

Default Great Vest

Hi Sully! As far as I'm concerned it's the best vest I've ever owned. You won't be disappointed.
    Bruce

+ Reply to Thread