+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More work-arounds.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default More work-arounds.

A while back, I was in a swap here on FAOL where the theme was "No feathers allowed" So we all came up with different ways to tie flies. My particular solution was the Wal-Mart Wooley Bugger, tied with craft fur from Wal-mart. Since then, I have been intrigued at the possibilites of "thinking outside the box". So I have been experimenting, and I have found a wonderful new material, that is readily available.

A few weeks ago, I took up loom knitting, and I've gotten quite good at it. In the process, while looking for yarn for projects, I ran across this wonderful yarn made by Yarn Bee, that just screams "HACKLE". I know that Cabelas sells a 'Pseudo-Hackle", but for less than what that costs for a few feet, you can get close to a lifetime supply of the yarn.

Here is what I came up with....the Yarn Bee Buggers:

Hook: Cabelas Model 40 sz. 6
    Thread: Black 6/0 Uni-Thread
    Tail: Renegade Craft Fur
    Body: Yarn Bee "Haute Fur" and "Glitzy Girl" in colors Kem #914, and Cypress #46

These things look deadly in the water. I will test them as soon as this Arctic Front moves on.

Blog Entries

cool flies, I bet they do well in the water...I bought some yarn very similar to what you have, thought it looked buggy...plan to experiment with that as well...you did a good job on the flies, let us know how they fish...
    Kelly

Excellent use of non-traditional materials. I shop the craft stores and thrift stores often for stuff that I think would work in my fly tying. Well done, can't wait for your report as to their effectiveness.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread