+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a bit of cabin fever here.

Default Got a bit of cabin fever here.

The holidays were awesome. But even with all the great parties, food, friends, music and conversation I'm feeling a bit antsy. I want to get out and fish.

It's the 5th day of the new year and I don't even have my new license yet.

Most of the rivers here are closed or in winter rules. Winter rules are fine (barbless hooks, catch and release, no bait, not treble hooks) because they fit a fly fishing sensibility. But I have to find rivers that are legal.

I've fished the North fork of the American and have never caught, hooked, or even seen a fish. The middle fork is open and it's suppose to have good fishing so I may have to drive there. The Yuba river below the highway 20 bridge is open but I'm not sure how good that stretch is.

So for you folks who know and fish the Sierra foothills east of Sacramento, Where should I go fishing this weekend? What flies and techniques should I be using for cold weather fishing?

Because Boy oh boy, I REALLY need to get the heck out of my cubicle at work and go stand in a river somewhere.

nighthawk Guest

I hear you there man. My physical condition has severely hampered my activities but I am going to try to head out today at least for a walk in the local state park.

Lots of open waters here but I just cannot physically get on them. Bummer.

Man, I hate to commiserate, but I'm in the same boat. What with hip surgery in August and ankle surgery last month, I can't get out on any water at least for another month, and the way it's going it may even be two months. New wading boots and reel for Christmas, and not way to enjoy them. The 'shack nasties' are definitely creeping up on me. Keep the faith boys at least the days are getting a bit longer.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Too much snow on the ground to hike back into the spring creeks. A pair of snow shoes would be handy. So I've been ice fishing instead. My first fish of the season was a 12" rainbow. Go figure!
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Unhappy Be careful what ....

.... you ask for.

We've had plenty of open water and reasonably comfortable temps around here the past week or so, and I've managed to get SKUNKED three outings in a row.

John

Well, on reflection, getting skunked is better than not getting out at all.
    The fish are always right.

Hey Dave. We still need to go fishing together some time

I was just out at Forresthill and the snow has all melted. I'm thinking of driving there and then down Mosquito Ridge road to the Middle fork of the American. I've never been there so I'd be improvising for sure. Google maps make it look like the road gets pretty close to the river with a dirt road following it. Have you ever fished there? Is that the right access?

I'm counting the minutes till I can go home. I think I'll at least tie some flies tonight. What the heck, I'll go buy my license tonight. At least there's no more "Delta" stamp any more.

[For the non-Sacramento fishing folks] We use to have a Sacramento Delta Fisheries stamp that was "optional". However, the stamp was required for any river that empties into the delta all the way up to the first dam. Because some rivers aren't damned for quite a ways there are certain places where you could be at 2500 feet elevation in the mountains in a river surrounded by pine trees and still technically be in the delta. From what I see on the Cal Fish & Game web site that stamp doesn't exist any more. So there's an extra several dollars I can save.

nighthawk Guest

Well I did get out into the woods for a few hours this afternoon. Froze my butt off, didn't see a darned thing nut a beautiful Cardinal and it really felt great to be out there.

The wind was blowing a little bit but I was hunting next to one of my favorite trout streams that is closed for the season. The sun was out in between snow flurries while the air was clear and cold. The stream was babbling away as it is not completely frozen yet. The water was clear as gin too. The beautiful color of the Hemlocks and Eastern White Pines was a wonderful contrast to the bare silhouette of the Maple, Oak and Shag Bark Hickory.

Snow on the ground, the babbling of the creek, the scent of the evergreens in the air....

Sorry, didn't intend to ramble on so. Just thought I would share a wonderful afternoon with you.

Default Sacramento and (north)east

Depends on what you are interested in. Strictly trout water or anything just to get out?

Already mentioned is the American River below Lake Natomas to the Sacramento River. Should be good steelhead, not sure when the Salmon run is.

Folsom Lake off the bank or in floattube in a cove. The east arm is the Silver Fork of the American River. Not sure where the lake ends and the river starts so check the regs. Off hand there is good access on Hwy 50 at the Ice House turnoff. Salmon Falls Bridge would be closer to the lake on the back end of the town of Folsom.

Lakes and ponds around Sacramento are always a possibility just to get rid of the shack nasties. Arden Pond at the east end of Arden Way, Mather Field Lake just outside the entrance to Mather Golf Course, Rancho Seco Lake south of Sacramento(seen a 13 lb bass come out of there). This time of year you could ask any golf course for permission to fish their water hazards(seen 7 lb bass come out of Cordova Golf Course pond in front of the club house).

I do have a special place off Hwy 80 at Emigrant Gap(not fishable now)that I would be willing to share info with the right person. Wild browns and haven't seen another person in this spot in over 20 years. I won't just throw the spot to the wolves tho.

I have lots of maps and things that I will probably never use again so if anyone is interested PM me and we can see what you might need.

Jerry

PS I am going to start fishing all of OR and whatever I can get too in WA this next year so I am going to be looking for info myself. Anything would be of help. I'm having hernia surgery in Feb so probably won't start fishing until April but info would help the shack nasties.

Wow, I had no idea there were so many folks in this neck of the woods

Looks like a lot of good places have been mentioned. FWIW, I've caught a number of nice wild bows just below the Iowa Hill bridge on the North Fork. DruLee, send me a PM.

You also mention the Yuba. I had a banner day there less than a month ago (matter of fact it was during our "snow in Sacto" days). The temp when we started was 27, but when the sun came up it was not too bad. I shared a drift with guide Dave Sloan (out of American River Fishing) and we had a blast. Got several of those Yuba 'bows to the boat and was rewarded with some fine fighting and acrobatics. Micro Mays and San Juan Worms under an indicator, or baetis cripples when they start hitting on top.

If you don't want to do the drift, you can park at the Hwy 20 bridge and work your way upstream. I know several people that have done well there, although it can be a hit or miss (see John Scott's posts )

Mather Lake and Rancho Seco are pretty convenient too. Other lakes you you could also look at would be Pardee and Commanche. And hey, there's Willow Hill Reservoir right behind Folsom High School.

I'm definitely more a moving water guy and love to hit the South Fork American all along Higway 50 starting at Ice House and moving up. And I cut my teeth on the North Fork Middle Fork outside of Foresthill. If you have any questions about access, just let me know.

One more thought (I keep thinking of all these incredible places)... Lake Clementine and bottom of the Auburn Ravine.

John

jburge - Bringing back some memories now. Fished all those places you mention but most before flyfishing. Took a fly tying class from Dave Sloan a few years back. Great kid, never got to fish with him.

Did you know there are bass in the river below Lake Clementine? Another lake that was my favorite for tubing was Foster. First lake in off the road to Boman Lake off Hwy 20. It is also any easy bank fishing lake around the dam.

Lots of fishing in the Sacramento area.

Jerry

+ Reply to Thread