+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waders?

Default Waders?

OK, so since you guys did such a good job on the last question (reel), I've got another one for you.
    The wife (in what surely must be a quest to get me out of the house on a regular basis beginning in a couple of months) has given me the go ahead to order myself a set of waders.
    She bought me wading boots already, and did a good job from what I understand (got them a size too big and everything). She did her research. Now it's time to get the waders.
    Bootfoot waders are clearly unnecessary now, so they're out. I'm pretty sure I want to go with neoprene, for several reasons, not the least of which is the continually cool, but not typically ice cold until winter, temperature of my favorite river, and I've found two pairs that appeal to me.

The first is a 3 mm pair from Cabelas. They look pretty good. Don't really see any problems, from my limited experience

The second also appeal to me for several reasons, but they're not stockingfoot, which leaves me with some concerns, first and foremost about the wading boots being a size too big, to accommodate the stockingfoot and socks.

I'm also open to other suggestions, but as you can see from my two choices, I'm somewhat limited in my price range. I know you can get the best for more $$$, but that's simply not an open option for me, and until I really get out there and see exactly what I need, it's not really prudent.

I look forward to seeing what you guys have to say, and I really do appreciate you guys being patient with a beginner asking so many stupid questions.
    "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger."

- Herbert Hoover

I gave up on neoprene quite a few years ago. I always thought I needed their insulating qualities until I got my first pair of breathables. No contest as to comfort and durability. You don't feel soaking wet like after wearing neoprene, and there is room to move, especially when you need to lift your knees high. Breathables are much more comfortable in the spring/summer/fall months and you can dress very warm in layers for the cold months. Breathables also usually have a 3mm neoprene bootie in the foot. Just my two-cents. Good luck with your choice.
    Kelly
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Cool

I also can't stand neoprene waders. Yuk.
    WAY too hot for most of the year here in CO. My Simms breathables work great for all seasons -- just wear thicker long undies under them if it's cold out.
    Neoprenes also feel like peeling on and then off a Trojan. Ummmm. If you know what I mean. DANBOB

Go with the breathables ....and layer as needed...as was already said...

Not that you need my input, but I whole heartedly agree with the guys above, go with the breathables.

O.K. - any suggestions on a good brand of breathables, material, etc?
    "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger."

- Herbert Hoover

Cabela's has some decent ones at fairly affordable prices. And, by the way, there are no stupid questions !

I bought a pair of these almost 10 years ago;

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...005&id=0011541

Granted, I don't fish as often as many on this site, but they still don't leak!
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Same ones I'm wearing ! Well , the ones I wear when it isn't -30 ! My wife has a set of the 'Bluestream' from Cabela's and likes them pretty good and they're on sale right now.

If you don't have a budget, go with Simms.

If you do have a budget, or aren't sure how much you'll like to use them, etc. go with Cabelas.

I have the cabelas Dry-Plus G-II Breathable Waders as well and they seemed to hold up great last year. I probably used them roughly a dozen times. Also used them to help me launch my boat at a lake without a dock at the ramp. I have only had my one season. I even hiked around quite a bit in them, doing some back country fishing. Just watch out for branches if you choose to do that!

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

+ Reply to Thread