+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Common Cents System

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg F View Post
    In my experience the CCS system is pretty accurate. I have checked my blanks against those posted on the data site and the results have been pretty consistent. The results of testing a couple of my rods confirmed what my casting arm said; that one labeled "4wt" is actually better as a 3wt, and one labeled "3wt" is actually better as a 4wt. The measurements are much more meaningful than the terms "powerful", "moderate", "high line speed", etc.

Greg
    It gave me a way to go. Kind of pointed me in the right direction towards the same thing.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I believe in having another system of measure along with line weight. The CCS could be that system. It certainly would offer another way for a person to choose a blank or rod to fit their want. However the present system does need some structure. As I look over the data, I see results that vary. This may be a result of improper testing processes or.... It would be nice to solve that situation so as the data is more reliable. The CCS data has the potential to become a standard. Presently how the data is collected prevents it from being anything more than an opion. It is not scientific data. Too bad as it does have potential. Thank you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
    I believe in having another system of measure along with line weight. The CCS could be that system. It certainly would offer another way for a person to choose a blank or rod to fit their want. However the present system does need some structure. As I look over the data, I see results that vary. This may be a result of improper testing processes or.... It would be nice to solve that situation so as the data is more reliable. The CCS data has the potential to become a standard. Presently how the data is collected prevents it from being anything more than an opion. It is not scientific data. Too bad as it does have potential. Thank you
    As I see it, the neat thing about this system is that the average Joe can use it on his own equipment without a boatload of fancy equipment. What is less fancy than pennies? Follow the instructions and it is accurate.

You can get as nit picky with it as you want. You can weigh out all the lines you can afford and match them to rods right to the grain if you want. Or you can accept that it gives you a great starting point to work from.

I do not upload my results anywhere. If someone asks, I will tell them my results, but no one seems to want to ask.

This was a gift by Dr. Bill to the fly fishing community. A darn nice one in my way of thinking. Accept the gift or don't. The choice is yours.
    Kevin

I am sorry Kevin but I still see the CCS as having a greater potential. In its present state the idea might have originated through a scientific process. However the published data cannot be considered scienctific. If all the CCS is to be is for an individual to test their own equipment than so be it. But it still has potential to be more.
    Last edited by hardhat; 01-04-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
    I am sorry Kevin but I still see the CCS as having a greater potential. In its present state the idea might have originated through a scientific process. However the published data cannot be considered scienctific. If all the CCS is to be is for an individual to test their own equipment than so be it. But it still has potential to be more.
    I am sorry if I came off as defensive. I didn't mean to do so.

I think it does, too. I just know my puny little voice is not going to push it where it should be. It is going to take support from more than me or an internet fly fishing board to do it. One of the nationwide clubs would be a good start. The associations are a waste of time unless they can be shown how they can make a buck from it "For the good of the sport" <wink, wink>

I can understand your objection to the data in that while I am certain that I take a scientific approach to my measurements, does everyone else? Of course not. Most probably do, but there are always a few...

I know there are a large number of independent rod builders that use it and like it. Some on this board and a bunch more on other boards.

Yes, I guess I am being a bit cynical about it all going anywhere, but I guess that is because I can't see how to push it in the direction it needs to go and don't have the contacts to help me along that I am aware of.
    Kevin

Kevin,
    I have appreaciated and respected your imput on many of the threads I have followed on this forum. I also enjoy and admire your rod building skills. I did not take your opinion as one being defensive. I thought that was just a difference at how we looked at the CCS system. However, it looks like we both are basically stating the attributes of the CCS and its value. It seems as if neither of us is in a postition to push the system to greater significance. As you have impressed tools like this can be extremely helpful for rod and blank determination and selection.
    Have a good day

Blog Entries

Gary Loomis will use CCS data. Maybe more rod companies will start using it.

http://northforkcomposites.com/blog/category/ccs/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg F View Post
    Gary Loomis will use CCS data. Maybe more rod companies will start using it.

http://northforkcomposites.com/blog/category/ccs/
    Not a lot of data as yet, but it's a start.
    Kevin

Ahh that is great! This will be a great sales tool for him to sell his product. Who knows, maybe Batson, Dan Craft, or Amtak will follow.

+ Reply to Thread