+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mustad barbless hooks

Blog Entries

Default Mustad barbless hooks

Since Mustad came out with the new line, I hadn't bought any hooks. Last week I purchased a 50 pack of the barb less standard dry fly hooks . These Hooks are very sharp, IE pass the thumb nail test out of the package. This has not been my experience with mustad in the past I always had to file them lightly to get them sharp.

Anyone else bought these recently if so are all of them this sharp? if so they are a great deal $5.95 for 50 which is the same price as the barbed.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 01-05-2010 at 03:46 PM.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Glad to hear you are pleased with the hooks Eric. Sounds like you picked up some of the R50X-94845 hooks. All hooks within the Signature range are chemically sharpened with premium needlepoints so you should be pleased with any model. While the R50X is the only barbless model, all the Signature hooks offer micro-barbs which are easily pinched down completely so if you like barbless, you can convert all the other models over quickly and easily.

I read an article by Dr. Fish, where he also explained that Mustad uses their own formula for the creation of the wire for their hooks. That the needle-point is a recent change of preference by anglers in purchasing of bare hooks for fly tying. That Mustad continues to meet the customers demand, for quality hooks, at a affordable price.

Mustad is also a Sponsor of FAOL, which helps to keep the lights on, for use to enjoy all the fine articles here on FAOL!

~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 01-05-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Blog Entries

I retrieved the packages from the trash and those are the Numbers of the hooks I bought, I had missed the Chemically sharpened label.

I bought a couple of packages of the barbed hooks at the same time. (the barb less were a pleasant mistake) the barbed are just as sharp and looking at them that barb is hard to see when its held in the hand. I will have to be extra careful to debarb them for catch and release only waters. Very nice hooks.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread