+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you carry your landing net?

Default How do you carry your landing net?

I used to carry my net attached to the D ring on the back of my vest. I attached it using one of those two piece magnetic things with an elastic cord. I want to find a better way because on one fishing trip I was walking through a brushy area and nearly had my head cut off when the net got hung up and broke free. How do you carry your net?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

On the d-ring on my back. But, I have the magnetic holder attached to the net top, not to the handle, which really helps to keep it from snagging.

All this requires is a couple of the plastic wire straps you get from a hardware store. The ones where the strap is serrated, gets pulled through a loop and then stays tight.

I know it doesn't look very good but..
    If you cover your net with a piece of nylon stocking (pantyhose), the net will be protected from all the brush.
    You can also use this set up as a bug collection net.

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 13 January 2006).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Tyrone, ...

I use Oldfrat's trick too. The net doesn't hang down so lo to the ground that way.

Or change nets to the triangular folding ones:

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:0d2d3]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:0d2d3]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:0d2d3]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:0d2d3]
    Christopher Chin

WOW.. dudley... Great tip... never thought of that!!..

As for as me.. I dont really use a net I just bring them to the hand..if they get off.. then I dont have to touch them anyways...

But.. Again.. Love that that tip!!!

I got one of those collapsable nets from BPS and it has really allowed a lot of freedom. I don't have to worry that I forgot my net at home or in the car because it's stored in my vest

oldfrat, thanks for the suggestion. I have tons of those zip ties.

chris, I will be at ISE in San Mateo this weekend and will be on the lookout for a folding net. I can always use a backup that can be stored in the car.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

You know I have a net, and I've attached it using the two magnet system. But I'm thinking I will try *not* to use a net. I'm going to try to learn how to use one of those ketchem-release tools as much as possible -- for fish I'm not keeping. That way I don't touch the fish and it doesn't even get out of the water.

As usual, I'm still using the old school method of a net retriever attached to the D-ring with a french clip attached to the net. I use a relatively small and narrow net which minimizes (but doesn't eliminate) the brush snagging problem.

I use the d-ring with the elastic cord and the magnets too, however when walking in the brush I put the net into the net pocket in the back of my vest, after I catch the first fish I let it hang by the magnets until it's time to leave and I put it back in the net pocket again.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

+ Reply to Thread