+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allen & Co. hooks

Default Allen & Co. hooks

I recieved samples of fly-tying hooks from Allen & Co.
    http://www.allenflyfishing.com/

They seem reasonably sharp off the shelf (never hurts to touch them up as you tie your flies, of course), and seem like good, solid hooks. The thinner wires can be bent to shape, as some patterns call for. The heavier gauges are tough!

I recall the price for most of the hooks was something like $6.99/100 hooks, plus free shipping.

I took a picture of 4 of the size 8 hooks I recieved:
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Dave:

The last two bunches of "cheap" hooks I got suffered two problems. In one lot the loop on many of the eyes were not completely closed and a thread could slip into the eye. They were tossed. In the others they were too brittle and some would snap off at the bend when pinching the barb off. I have in the past also had hooks that were too soft and would bend under normal thread tension while tying. Any opinion on your hooks relative to these potential problems?

David

Hello,

I want to answer some questions that are coming up on our hooks and give a little background.

First. Dave, glad you got the samples.

Our hooks have been on the market for now over 1 year. We started with a few fly shops on the Salmon River were my partner is from. One buys the hooks to ty there own flies and the other two buy flies. We supply over 1200doz flies on avg each month using our hooks. We used this as our test market before moving on to the direct consumer.

Yes, when we started. We had some issues, like most products do when they come out. We learned from those and improved the problems that we ran into.

After that, we started with past customers who purchases other products from us. They started using our hooks and had little to no issues with them.

I can see why the stereotype of "cheap" comes into account. However, we think the hooks are priced with the means of manufacturing, not by retail pricing standards. We're not asking for people to buy our products without doing any research. We just want our brand to be on the minds of those that are in the market for a quality hook. If they go with us great. If not, then maybe in the future.

Again, thank you for all the posts. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

I didn't try to pinch the barbs yet. I did check the eyelets, because I've seen some like what you mentioned, djo, in packs I've bought from Mustad. It isn't common, but I have seen some. I've also seen some Mustads that had some weird sort of rough bumps on them, which could possibly cut the thread while trying to tie a fly on them. I usually simply discard these individual hooks when I find them. I still like Mustad hooks.

I did not see any evidence of either of these issues in the samples I recieved from Allen & Co. In fact, I tried to put a lot of stress on them to see if I could straighten them easily, or break them (I've also had these problems in the past with various hooks).

I could not break them. I could bend the finer wire hook, but not easily...like it would take a pair of pliers to bend the hook to the shape you needed for a particular fly. The heavier gauge hooks...I wouldn't even try to bend those with pliers.

In short, my opinion is that these are good hooks at a VERY good price. I like that!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I too was in contact with Justin at Allenflyfishing and will give them a go when he he gets the 7999's in stock.I will be trying them and a few other hooks.He also offered to send me some samples but I said I would give them a go anyway

out of curiosity.... on their website, are they just using the TMC numbers as reference? I thought TMC was the manufacturer? I'm just thoroughly confused right now.
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    Never thirsty, ever drinking,
    All in mail never clinking.
    - Riddle

I guess this is to Allen Flyfishing then: Who manufactures your hooks, and/or supplies them? I'm very interested in buying good hooks at these prices, so 'sell' me some more.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

AS far as I know the TMC# are for reference as comparson to their hooks or supplier, the 7999 that I refered to will be their compairable to tiemco"s 7999. For that price there worth a look to me

Default For reference

Says on the page that the TMC #'s are for reference right below the sample order box.

Default Where are the Allen & Co hooks made...

I've asked Justin a couple of times in pm along with some other questions but he seems to be missing that i'm still asking where the hooks are made. I'm itchin' for some of the 7999's to start, in the largest sizes.

MontanaMoose

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer View Post
    I guess this is to Allen Flyfishing then: Who manufactures your hooks, and/or supplies them? I'm very interested in buying good hooks at these prices, so 'sell' me some more.

Kelly.

+ Reply to Thread